Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,543   Posts: 1,544,408   Online: 1059

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For $100 more, get a F3. 100% viewfinder, 1/2000 second shutter speed, manual mirror lockup, handle incorporated in body, better viewfinder, pro build and fit in small light package.

I've a FE, F3, F4 and F5, however, F3 is the one I use most.

Shooter
    35mm
    There are many bargains in film cameras and accessories today. Yesterday I bought a very nice looking (from the auction page photos) 105/2.5 'K' Nikkor for $99. I happen to have two Nikon FE bodies, one chrome and one black. Both were bought for very little. I especially like the fact that it has interchangeable focusing screens. If you don't need a shutter speed higher than 1/1000 or interchangeable finders you can certainly do a lot with it. The AI tab flips up, allowing the use of pre-AI lenses. This feature is missing from many of the later Nikon cameras. The question of whether a $100 camera can take an nice a picture as a $5,000 camera is one which has come up many times. There are plenty of Nikon lenses which can produce images as high in quality as those which can be made with more expensive ones. Some people prefer an Rf camera. Others prefer medium format and large format equipment. If you like it and it works for you then that's all you need. If I put a 55/2.8 AIS Nikkor on an FE I have no reason to believe that a similar lens from Leica, Zeiss, Canon etc. will give me a higher quality result. They can all be good if they are in good condition and used with some care.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    you can get an fm for about$35.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The FM will probably have a longer life due to its all mechanical operation, Another excellent value older camera, if you can find one in good condition....the Canon Ftb, and the older Canon breechlock lenses are excellent value

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My story: Back in 1978 I was told I could use some of my Bar Mitzvah money from 2 years prior to buy an SLR since I was so interested in cameras and photography. My dad takes me to the city (San Francisco) to the strip of photo stores that used to line Kearny St. We go from shop to shop and finally decide on one that seems pretty honest. My budget only allowed a Pentax K1000 with a 55mm normal lens and a Vivitar 200mm lens (the latter of which was what I was going to use for all those tele shots I would get published in National Geographic!). However I remember lusting that day after the Nikons in the glass case and wishing...one day...one day.

I stuck with the Pentax for a spell until the early 80's when I finally made the switch to Nikon and got a decent used FM2. Though I REALLY wanted the F3 darn it! At $2000 or so for a new F3 body that was NOT going to happen for that 22 year old!

Anyway, years later (maybe 10 years ago?) I sold off my Nikons (FM2 and FE2) and went Contax for my SLR kit (RX, RTSII) loving the Zeiss glass which was going for a song then since so many peeps were going digital. Then a year or two back I saw a gorgeous brassed-up black F3HP for less than $200! I had to have it. Long story short (too late?): I still love my Contax system but have since obtained in addition to my F3HP a nice early FM2 (titanium honeycomb shutter!) and a whole slew of gorgeous 60's F glass, some gotten for as little as $15 each!

Now I'm trying to stop myself from buying an old F or FE which for some reason I still want! Classic Nikon glass with classic Nikon bodies is so terrfic for B&W work.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Now I'm trying to stop myself from buying an old F or FE which for some reason I still want! Classic Nikon glass with classic Nikon bodies is so terrfic for B&W work.
    They are all rather affordable so stop trying to stop yourself! Also good for color work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As these aren't made by Nikon you might be better getting a Spotmatic, yesterday I could buy original Spotmatics, II's and SP1000's for £10/$17 in GWO

Ian

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sinking demand for Nikon film bodies seems to be counterbalanced by clamoring for fast MF primes. M4/3, video, and especially Sony NEX shooters are loving them.

Shooter
    Instant Films
    With a mint black FE-2 that was given to me by my father. The jewel of my collection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have 3 Nikon F's, 5 Nikkormats, 4 F2's
    Any of those.
    I have a D90 and a D200 too.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin