Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,006   Online: 767

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    About 2 years ago I got my first Nikon in a thrift store. I got amazing deal - F3HP with AI-S 50mm 1.4 for just $15.. The first thing that amazed me was F3's viewfinder - I have never ever seen anything like that after and before. I like OM1's one, but on F3 it's just unbeatable. Somebody wrote in other thread that it's almost 3-D, you can feel space with it and I'm completely agree with that. Unfortunately my F3 has some defects - light meter does not work and backup lever stuck but it does not make it less valuable for me - I have great 100% manual camera. Shutting with it is always adventure and joy for me... And yesterday on big auction site I got 2 other Nikon's I always wanted - FE and older FM2.. Can't wait now.. So exited...

Shooter
    35mm
    I would argue that a $150 f100 is a better value then a $60 Fe.

Although id also admt that the Fe is my fav camera of all time.

Shooter
    35mm
    Nikkormats are absurdly cheap for their quality. The price of MF Nikkor lenses means everyone aims for pro bodies to hang them on. If you're lucky with your buys or are prepared to use third part lenses, a Nikkormat body is probably the best engineered lump you can get for £20.
    If you're looking at a bargain system, Yashica beat Canon FD by a nose. The ML glass is better, at least in my tests, than Nikon and costs a fraction of the price.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd say that my Yashica FR-1 with an ML 50mm f1.7 for $30 and my Yashica FX-3 Super 2000 with an ML 50mm f1.9 for $10 are the best bargains I have seen. Both of these were on eBay where they regularly go for that amount. The bodies aren't Nikon build quality but they are sturdy and fully featured. The ML lenses are comparable to the Contax Zeiss line in terms of imaging characteristics. For what a clean FE and a decent Nikkor cost you could have a tidy Yashica kit that will produce outstanding pictures.

Don't get me wrong, I love Nikon gear as much as the next guy, but my dirt cheap Yashicas really surprised me with their capability.

Shooter
    35mm
    vfalendysh, send that F3 to Nikon in California. I sent them a basket case someone had modified and then dropped and it came back like new for about $200. It will last the rest of my life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From reading the above posts; it looks like there are a lot of ways to beat a FE for value.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Still loving my FE but I am eyeing a Nikkormat FT2 and a Nikon F3HP. Help me someone. GAS (at least I am cured of the Leica expensive GAS)
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kivis View Post
    Still loving my FE but I am eyeing a Nikkormat FT2 and a Nikon F3HP. Help me someone. GAS (at least I am cured of the Leica expensive GAS)
    I'll help: get an F2 Photomic instead!

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    I'll help: get an F2 Photomic instead!
    Been there. Too bulky.
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jbaphoto120222d1485.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	53426

I like Nikons because they just get on and do the job without problems - I still have three of my Fs from my commercial studio, but now have a couple of Nikkormats which I use for 35mm work - The F was the best camera Nikon made and the Nikkormat was the best offering from Rikoh

(Nikkormat was originally the Ricoh Singlex, taken on and re-badged under the Nikon name)

John
    Last edited by John Austin; 07-05-2012 at 11:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin