Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,540   Posts: 1,572,772   Online: 903

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get multiple Spotmatics so you do not have to worry about changing lenses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11336821@N00/6095358701/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pentax Spotmatic 08 sml.JPG  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Since the Spotmatics aren't getting as many votes, I'll add one for the Spotmatic F.

I recently picked one up from a subscriber on this site and it performed. From the first roll through I made three prints and there is the potential for more. From my perspective, that is the true measure of a camera, the yield of print-worthy pictures.

The high speeds don't work due to lack of maintenance, but I believe inside the camera is like new (so I expect a CLA will restore it to new performance).

If you are already familiar with Spotmatics, then you will be able to use one immediately. I haven't handled any K-mount so I cannot offer a comparison. But Spotmatics are useful.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought my first Spot in 1966, used, it still works just fine. I take it out a couple of time a year and run a roll though it. But I think a KM is a better buy more features, will work with M42 lens with an adpator. There are lots of manual thrid party K mount lens which are good performers at bargin prices. K1000s are fine camera, just in my estimation overpriced.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Since the Spotmatics aren't getting as many votes, I'll add one for the Spotmatic F.
    I will give it a vote too. I recently bought a very nice Spotmatic F locally for £20.

Just to be fair though, I will give the KM a vote too.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a new Spotmatic F for my 21st birthday, a wonderful camera, eventually I sold it for a K mount camera in the early 80's. Possibly the best SLR I've ever used and I picked another one up donated to a comminity darkroom early 2000's (turned out it had belonged to a fellow MA student & friend).

My favourite K/M series Pentax though is the MX small light and mush quieter woderful camears to use.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I've never used a Pentax K mount other then an ME super (which was ok I guess) but I adore my Spotmatic SPII. It's just got this really pleasing feel to it—mechanical, sturdy, classic. It's also a very attractive design. If you're the type of SLR user that is fairly deliberate when picture taking, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Spotty. If you really aren't comfortable without ultra quick metering, a K mount (or Spotmatic F) is IMO a better bet.
    Sometimes I post my photos on flickr.
    Sometimes I update my tumblr.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=BrianL;1334871] The Spotmatic's meter is not mercury battery dependent as is so many older cameras so, that is not an issue.

They were in fact mercury based. there's no direct replacement, they'll be zinc-air with a shorter life.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Saw this regarding batteries for Spotmatics - What battery for Spotmatic meter?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=John Koehrer;1335599]
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
    The Spotmatic's meter is not mercury battery dependent as is so many older cameras so, that is not an issue.

They were in fact mercury based. there's no direct replacement, they'll be zinc-air with a shorter life.
    While they were originally intended for mercury batteries, they are also relatively insensitive to voltage variations.
    This means that you can use practically any 1.5 volt battery which fits or can be made to fit (alkaline, silver, etc.) and still have an accurate meter.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Rol_Lei Nut;1335694]
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    While they were originally intended for mercury batteries, they are also relatively insensitive to voltage variations. This means that you can use practically any 1.5 volt battery which fits or can be made to fit (alkaline, silver, etc.) and still have an accurate meter.
    Are you saying a 1.5V battery will result in proper metering in the Spotmatics (all in the series)? In my Canon F-1n a 1.5V battery alters the meter readings, such that if I'm shooting IS0 100 film I have to set my ASA dial to 40 to get proper exposures. I thought all these old 1.35 meters needed the Schottky diode modification to meter properly with 1.5V batteries.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin