Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,930   Online: 947

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Pentax km or spotmatic?

In the next few days I'll be in a position to replace my fed 5b with a slr. I had pretty much decided on a spotmatic for various reasons, but have noticed a KM at keh in the same price range. Spotmatics I'm familiar with and had a k1000 but never handled the KM. Just wondering if there are any real advantages to the km other than the mount?

Shooter
    35mm
    The KM is the next step up from the K1000 adding self timer and DOF -> Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I always suggest the KM to people looking for a K1000 as it is better featured and usually comes cheaper as it doesn't have the K1000's cult status.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The K mount is an advantage as is Full aperture metering in all the K/M series, although the Spotmatic F offers this feature.

Last Sunday I could have bought some nice Spotmatics at £10 ($17) each, the original/SPII and SP1000 (budget) versions all fully functional, however I already have two sat idle, as well as a KM. MX, ME etc.

Really it's down to do you want the faster bayonet lens change compared to screw thread, many years ago I decided I did and didn't regret it. I was shooting a lot of rock concerts and the change helped enormously.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Advantages of the KM:
    Bayonet mount - especially if you change lenses often, screw mount can be a PITA
    Full-aperture metering - haven't used the KM enough to be sure it does much better, but the Spottie's stop-down metering is slooowww (the reaction time of the needle)
    (Possibly also has a brighter viewfinder)

Advantages of the Spotmatic:
    Can use all M42 lenses...
    (yes the KM can too with an adapter, but it's a PITA).
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pentax KM hands down
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think it depends on the condition of the bodies. Go with the better. An advantage of the KM is it can take the M42, with an adaptor, and K mount. Advantage of the Spotmatic is it will probably outlast the KM because of the build, at a time when reliability was key, where robustness = reliability and, metal was king. I just bought an earlier S1a that does not even sport the meter, so no battery. The Spotmatic's meter is not mercury battery dependent as is so many older cameras so, that is not an issue.

If the bodies are close to being the same condition, then it comes down to body features. I've used M42 lenses on K mount cameras and I se no issue but I am used to using M42 lenses as my first slr was a Spotmatic. I bought it not long after they were coming back from overseas with a lot of returning service personnel. had a friend who bought a very complete kit, came home and needed the money to get married.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, do you like M42 or K mount better? Also as said before the Spotmatic is solid, I'd choose that over the KM alone. But if you wanna go to town with Pentax, why not look up for a Pentax LX?
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Spotmatic without the shoe looks waaaay cooler.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As Rol_Lei nut points out it is possible to use M42 lenses with an adapter to fit K mount cameras. Another option is to use Tamron Apdaptall II lenses and have monunts for both screw and K mount. I have 2 or 3 Tamron SP lenses with Adaptall mounts very useful particularly as I can use at a push on my EOS cameras as well.

Ian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin