Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,280   Posts: 1,534,885   Online: 858

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Have my F5 repaired or Recycled?

Hi

As some of you know asn as per my signature, I have a Hasselblad as of a few months ago and I also have a 35mm Nikon F5. The F5 roll-on winder broke and I sent it to Nikon Repair for a quote.

The repair bill comes to about £260! They say that as part of the repair process they have to do one or two other things (including adjustment of the metering etc) so this figures cannot be reduced, they tell me.

My question then is this: Do I pay for the repair on the grounds that the returned F5 will probably work like clockwork for a few years without any problems due to the additional work they are having to do with it. Or do I have it recycled (at no additional cost to me - remember it cost me £10 to post it!) by Nikon on the grounds that I won't be able to sell it in such a state as it is and instead buy another F5 from www.ffordes.co.uk who have a range of F5's from between £250-£300 in the hope that a camera from them will have a 6mth warranty and hopefully be OK?

Or shall I just not bother, stick with my Hasselblad and continue to invest in the medium format side of things and sell my remaining Nikon stuff (which is not extensive - a 50mm lens, lens hood, flash cable etc).

Ted
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think the pertinent question for you is whether you will use the F5 enough. If you see it as your 'go-to' camera, and the Hassy is secondary, then get it fixed. If not, recycle it and put the money toward either another Hassy lens or an additional film back or just a whole lot more film.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Fix it. It'll be good to go another 5-10 years

Shooter
    35mm RF
    On a rangefinder forum, there were a couple of interesting discussions regarding GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) one of the ways of getting cured would be sticking to the equipment you already have and maintaining it, that is what I decided to do, just my 2 cents.
    Multum egerunt, qui ante nos fuerunt, sed non peregedunt.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If it's minor fixes, I'd swallow it and go for the repairs. Nikon service is usually first rate and generous when it comes to extra tune-ups/minor parts. That way, it's working and you're spared the headaches of hunting for a replacement. Any busted or ailing Nikon bodies I own get fixed(if reasonable)or pitched rather than replaced. I've got too many and don't think 35mm is worth the bother any longer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree...the F5 is a great camera and you are lucky to own one. If it were mine, I would let Nikon service it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you decide you won't be using 35, you may be able to sell it in as-is condition for enough to recover your shipping costs.
    Otherwise, the repair is probably a better choice than buying another in random condition, given the cost is about the same either way.
    Presumably Nikon is providing some sort of warranty on the repair?

The Hasselblad does many things well, but not all things, and the Nikon can fill in those functionality gaps nicely.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hate having to scrap a camera, so I would repair it.
    But that is just my opinion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you don't use it and/or have little to no interest in expanding your Nikon kit, don't bother. Maybe there's something else you'd rather shoot with?

If you let Nikon repair it, they'll do a top-notch job and it'll run great for years.
    If you buy another, you're rolling the dice and potentially buying somebody else's problems.

If it was mine I'd have it fixed. I have no problem throwing my own money away on needless camera repair; that's likely why I'm poor.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Makes no sense to spend the same or more on a replacement, repair it and you'll get a camera that you know will work with a warranty on the repair to boot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin