Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,390   Online: 659

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries

Rollei 35 B camera - Any other users?

Back to being a beginner - This is good - For years now I have made snapshots on various cameras, starting with Leica + 35mm Summicron, to Voigtlander Vitessa to Retina 119 (circa 1936) - Now I have been given a Rollei 35B

I have worked out how to use it, sort of, but would like to hear from other users of these cameras - The one I have beside this laptop has a Triotar, which I am told is not good, but my mind is open to the real results after tomorrow's test film

If anyone has any actual experience to share I am interested - Tomorrow I will have my own 10x8" test results to see - I don't intend to load the film in the my 10x8" DeVere and make 36x54 inch prints, I only do that with 35mm HIE, just not very often

This will be a relief from my big prints of the Southern Ocean

John

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Remember you can't collapse the lens unless you have wound on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Tessar and Sonnar versions. Neat little cameras. I'll bet the Triotar is decent at least at f/5.6!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Triotar is better than Sonnar and Tessar , thats why Rollei produced hundred thousands of Rolleicords with them. Its is the best lens I have ever seen from Zeiss family. Do a flicker search and see the BW results , there are too many idiots say about the same about Leica.
    If you are from low contrast family or reverse , it produces masterpieces , especially where the skin and lots of thin line details present in one place.
    Thanks to idiots , I have Rollei 35S with 120 dollars price tag. But you must try lower speeds before burning lots of frames.

Umut
    Last edited by Mustafa Umut Sarac; 04-26-2012 at 10:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mine is sitting on my desk in a ziploc bag, awaiting repair (to the film transport mechanism, I believe). Frankly, I don't really see any real advantage to using it, either pragmatically or artistically, over pro digital P&S, at the small film format level. Not sure what you're asking, but here are some slideshow transparency examples from last century, when it was the bomb: California Haute Route Parts I & II

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have one of the german made ones, and I like to use it for hiking / landscapes / snapshots.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the 35 LED with the triotar. I print my 35mm negatives about 4x6" and find the lens OK in most situations. I really like the angle of view afforded by the 40mm lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, I have a 35B and use it from time to time when I want the small size. I originally had one from '77 thru '85 as my only camera and shot hundreds of photos during my time in the merchant navy. Nothing wrong with the Triotar - particularly at 5.6 and above. The original one gave up eventually and I replaced it with an identical one a few years ago for old times sake. Here's one of my gallery photos taken with it. http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...mageuser=35532.

One tip - if using it with a flash, hold the camera upside down or the bottom mounted flash gives everybody's heads a dark shadow halo!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Triotar is better than Sonnar and Tessar , thats why Rollei produced hundred thousands of Rolleicords with them. Its is the best lens I have ever seen from Zeiss family. Do a flicker search and see the BW results , there are too many idiots say about the same about Leica.
    If you are from low contrast family or reverse , it produces masterpieces , especially where the skin and lots of thin line details present in one place.
    Thanks to idiots , I have Rollei 35S with 120 dollars price tag. But you must try lower speeds before burning lots of frames.

Umut
    Dear Mustafa,

While we might have a liking for Leica in common, I usually disagree with your posts (especially their tone), which do nothing to usefully convey the real qualities of Leicas to others.

In this case I must even more forcefully disagree: while the Triotar (and similar lenses) in their various incarnations make good portrait and "pictoral" lenses, for almost all other parameters they certainly don't equal a good sample of a Tessar or a Sonnar (they also vary in their incarnations - but in the Rollei 35 versions there is no doubt).

In any case, the Triotar is probably better than most zooms...
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post

Umut
    I like turtles.

I mean Sonnars!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin