Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,933   Posts: 1,522,234   Online: 1037

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a Spotmatic, a Spotmatic II and a Spotmatic F. The II works but could use new seals/foam. The Spotmatic looks like it needs new curtains. The F needs unjamming. The F, like Mamiya's SX series, was an oddball. By the time they came out, bayonet mount cameras with full aperture metering had been around for a long time. The F, ES and ESII were all capable cameras but most people no longer wanted to screw in their lenses. Asahi then brought out their K mount cameras which at long last had the bayonet mount and full apertute metering but had feature sets which were nothing special. They were also somewhat large and heavy compared to the smaller SLRs from Fujica and Olympus. The smaller M series was more attractive but I question how much was really saved by leaving off manual shutter speed control from the original ME. I would rather pay a more modest price for a camera which is not in perfect shape and then get it serviced than pay more for one which I can't really be sure is in good condition other than cosmetically. All of these are old cameras and most of them suffer more from time and lack of use than from overuse. My Spotmatic F regret is that when I saw one with a grid screen I didn't buy it. I have grid screens for all of my cameras with interchangeable screens and have had custom installations done for some cameras which do not have interchangeable ones. My favorite AOC lenses? The 55/1.8 and 55/2 standard lenses in M42 and K mounts.

Shooter
    35mm
    The difference between mint and the rest is considerable. A beaten up usable Nikon F2 will cost you £60. A very clean one ten times that, a truly* mint one, twenty. As others have said, glass case specimens attract a premium.

*finger marks only (not ebay 'mint')

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've often wondered why they were called Spotmatics, because they had no spot metering ability.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    They were originally going to have spot meters but the design changed.

This from Wikipedia:
    Despite the name, the camera did not use spot metering but it was originally to feature it exclusively as in the prototype Spotmatic shown at Photokina 1960 but at the last minute before release it was decided to change to average metering as Asahi feared that users would not know how to use a spot meter and blame the camera for the bad pictures.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just for clarity, most Spotmatics have center-weighted metering. (I did not know the original ones had average metering).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin