Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,332   Posts: 1,537,373   Online: 1110

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Spotmatic bodies expensive?

I was tooling around on KEH.com and saw this Spotmatic SP F body:

http://www.keh.com/camera/Pentax-Scr...000022500?r=FE

More than $200 for one in EX+ condition? That seems crazy. I may have to dig mine out see what kind of condition they're in.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    I was tooling around on KEH.com and saw this Spotmatic SP F body:

http://www.keh.com/camera/Pentax-Scr...000022500?r=FE

More than $200 for one in EX+ condition? That seems crazy. I may have to dig mine out see what kind of condition they're in.
    Nice examples of "classic" SLRs are scarce now and get priced accordingly. Very few died pretty or kept their looks and most are in sorry shape. The days of finding cheap Mint- 35mm gear ended about 3-4 years ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    that is in pristine condition, like new out of the box. plus you get a 6 month warranty. you can pick up a nice one on ebay for $50, but surely you're going to need a CLA on it, which is $75. So you would be in at least $125.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Or you can sometimes get lucky and find a nice Spotmatic F locally for only £20 which is in great, well cared for condition and works perfectly.

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 04-27-2012 at 09:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Or you can sometimes get lucky and find a nice Spotmatic F locally for only ?20 which is in great, well cared for condition and works perfectly.

Steve.
    Right, but that's just luck of the draw. $200 is clearly a premium price for a Spotmatic, and for that price you're paying to not have to rely on luck to get a body that doesn't need a CLA as soon as you get it.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Or you can sometimes get lucky and find a nice Spotmatic F locally for only ?20 which is in great, well cared for condition and works perfectly.

Steve.
    Right. Like the mint 1964 Porsche 356C I found in a barn last week and bought for $500 from a farmer who thought he'd done me.

Afraid the yard sale Leica is the stuff of urban legend.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I got my Pentax ME with 50mm 1.4 for $30 off of CL last week. I was the only person who called about it. Things works beautifully and is in great condition...

Seems like a good deal to me. Or a M7II with 4 lenses for $1500...
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Right. Like the mint 1964 Porsche 356C I found in a barn last week and bought for $500 from a farmer who thought he'd done me.
    Well done with the Porsche! I actually did get my good condition Spotmatic F for £20.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post

Afraid the yard sale Leica is the stuff of urban legend.
    But the yard sale Pentax somewhat less so. A Pentax, even an old Spotmatic, is not like a Leica or a Porsche; they were common consumer items. How many K1000s are there in the world? Bazillions. Do a search on ebay; there are hundreds for sale at any time, for cheap. It would be more like going into the farmer's barn and finding he's got a 1977 Chevette in there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, but if you want a Spotmatic, the cheapest way to get one is to buy it on the open market, not spend hours searching for hidden gems that may not exist.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin