Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,782   Online: 903

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    [QUOTE=waltereegho;1336702
    waynecrider, thanks for the suggestion. I know that autofocus plastic gear can be very light and compact, but I don't like these electronic wonders. Somehow, I just need my manual film advance and a solid lens under my fingertips. It's a mental thing.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that as well. I'm into heavy metal (Nikkormat), but then I'm not usually off on a long walkabout. I do own Canon FD, FTbn, A1. The lenses can be spectacular, although my 50mm F1.4 is not exactly light. I always did tho run into problems tho carrying two bodies even on day trips. I'm now back to just one and 2 lenses. Generally in a good condition FD series body you don't have to worry too much about problems although they can crop up. You didn't mention anything about film choices so I'm kinda wondering what's your thoughts. A body for b&w and color? Now a days I shoot color and convert for b&w myself unless it's a b&w day.
    I would concur with Mopar Guy and consider the costs of another system. Do consider a CLA at least. Or you can drop a body and take what ya got and you'll have some extra bucks for treating yourself or take a good high end P&S as a 2nd. Just a thought.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The OM system has been rising in prices and I may say is overpriced now. Part of the problem is that the better non-kit lenses are quite hard to find.
    For instance the 35mm f2 is going for 200-250 when last year it was around 150. The 50mm f1.4 is actually decently priced. Try for a higher serial number as Olympus quietly updated their coatings over the years.
    In any case, for a light-er weight kit, get the slower lenses as well. The 35mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.8 should do you well.
    -I say light-er weith because the olympus system is quite solidly built. It is no lightweight!

Really, imho you should just take one body with you. You will get the advantage of the lighter weight and not have to spend more money on another system.
    Take a Olympus XA or Stylus Epic with you to suppliment your kit..
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Oh, to answer some of your questions..
    The reports of the viewfinder being bright on the OM are overrated.. It is a big viewfinder 'for such a small camera' but is no where near the F1-N. Also, the screen used on OM1 and 2's was a standard screen. There were brightscreens made later when they were producing the OM3, but were not ever standard on the OM1/2. Still even with a brightscreen, you are not going to get the same effect as that big beautiful finder of the F1 with its laser-matte screen.

Regarding the lenses.. the 50mm f1.4 is on par with the canon. The later serial numbers are better. People pay a premium for the 1.1 million+ but I cant see a difference in mine. The 35mm f2 gets mixed reviews, but that may only be in comparison to the olther olympus fast lenses. I dont know. I have one but I have not used it yet. The canon 35mm f2 concave only gets rave reviews though.

Regarding the reliability. They are very good. The OM1 was designed for 100,000 actuations. However most are quite old and used now. The battery they were made for is no longer available and replacements dont give a steady voltage. The OM2 will eat batteries so do not store it with the batteries in it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    For the record I currently shoot with a OM2 and OM4. I have a few different 50mm's. Also the 24mm f2.8, 35mm f2, 85mm f2, and 135mm f2.8.
    I used to use the Canon FD system and had a F1N and A1. I switched because I wanted better metering of the OM4 and easy exposure compensation of the OM2.
    i carry both bodies in a shoulder bag that used to hold just one camera. The OM's are small but the canon's handled better.
    (if you hear me pining for my F1N yeah I miss it somewhat)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm used to the RB67, so to me the F1 is small and lightweight.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The OM1 battery issue is easily handled - either by using appropriate adapters for modern replacement batteries, or having a simple modification done on the camera (usually at the same time as a CLA).

I carry an extra set of readily available MS76 or equivalent batteries for my OM2n and OM2s cameras. The batteries last a reasonably long time, but not as long as some others.

For me, the OM bodies and lenses handle better than Canon FD bodies and lenses.

My standard kit (OM 2n or OM2s with zuiko 24mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2 and 85mm f/2) fits nicely in a very small camera bag.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OM-1(n) without hot-shoe + 50mm = Gorgeous.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    OM-1(n) without hot-shoe + 50mm = Gorgeous.
    Well if you are into taking pictures of your camera then yes the OM-1 is quite attractive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    Well if you are into taking pictures of your camera then yes the OM-1 is quite attractive.
    That combo takes good photos too. ;-)

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/9...after-cla.html
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It may be an unfair comparison, I never really found the OM 35mm f/2 to be "as good" as the lens it replaced.

I bought it to replace the Pentax Super Takumar 35mm f/2 the one with the 67mm filter ring. And I used to backpack with a Star-D tripod and shoot Kodachrome 25.

Sooo. Maybe it was by comparison that when I was shooting Velvia 50 with OM4, 35mm f/2 and a smaller tripod (or sometimes handheld), I never got the same kind of results.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin