Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,105   Online: 894

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Super Tak 35mm f/2-67 is rather soft wide open. Really not until f/4 does it sharpen up.

Shooter
    35mm
    The viewfinder of the OM's is well known for being big and bright. I can't imagine how it could be brighter, as it looks about the same as looking directly at a scene. Contemporary lens tests showed the OM lenses to be among the best made. I'm not sure why you're fixated on fast lenses. The 35f2.8 and 50f1.8 are both tiny (the 35f2 is huge by comparison and takes a 55mm filter). If you want low light capability, the smooth shutter and mirror of the OMs easily gives two stops over other SLRs. I regularly shoot a 35mm at 1/15s, often at 1/8s, and sometimes at 1/4s - all hand held.

I shot primes for many years, as well as the 35-70f3.6. Recently I've gone back to my original 35-70f3.5-4.5. It is a small as any prime and gives excellent results. The only reason to carry two bodies is if you want to have two different films.

Final points --> The OM bodies are the smallest full frame 35mm SLRs. The replacements for the OM-1's mercury cells are readily available. I've had an OM-2 for 30 years and never had problems with the battery life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For light weight and good glass the Olympus. I prefer the OM-1n. I also have the F-1, F-1n, New F-1, etc. I find myself using both. I guess weight is not a problem for me
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks, everyone. I've decided to keep my FD system and just deal with the extra weight. It looks like the overall cost of swapping systems outweigh the benefits.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    Large Format
    There is also the late OM 2000. It's made by cosina so people don't consider it a real OM, but it has a number of benefits. It's very small, very light, has spot metering and usual shutter speed selector.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 2-Series focus screens for the OM bodies are so bright that there is no difference between the matte area and the central split-image and microprism area. The reason is because the entire matte area of the screen is an even finer microprism mesh.

I absolutely love the OM system and have a few of the nicer items. It's all good, but some items, like the OM-3Ti, 35-80 zoom and 100/2 or 90/2 lenses are in a league of their own.

The OM system is the SLR that Leica failed to make.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waltereegho View Post
    t looks like the overall cost of swapping systems outweigh the benefits....
    That's what you think! I believe the advantages of the OM system are definitely "worth it"

Now you'll never know.... (sadly)
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes more om lenses for us! Seriously I love my om system but it's beating up my bank account.

I love that comment about it being the Leica slr system they failed to make.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    That's what you think! I believe the advantages of the OM system are definitely "worth it"

Now you'll never know.... (sadly)
    You shouldn't tempt me
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waltereegho View Post
    You shouldn't tempt me
    You are feeling weak. You can hear them crying out to you: "O Emmmmmmmm. O Emmmmmmmmmm"

You are feeling woozy. Lightheaded. You are scanning Ebay for all things OM, looking, seeking. Yet not knowing why. Like birds flying north in spring, the call is upon you. You cannot resist.

An OM-1 was popular, maybe one of those can be bought. But wait! There it is... An OM4Ti. Nah, way to much for a fleeting love affair. But if you don't buy it, you'll not be sure that you've gotten the full experience.

Resist! Resist! You must resist.

"NO!" You cry out, "It must not be! I cannot do this!"

Auction closed, an OM body bought. Now for the lenses...
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin