Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,628   Online: 960

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: battery prices

Shooter
    35mm

battery prices

Some battery prices are truly outrageous. I hate autofocus cameras but was 'forced' to take in a Canon Rebel 2000 with sharp kit lens (28 - 80) in a deal, for peanuts. But there are no batteries in it so I do not even know if it works. The camera looks to be in mint condition. What is it worth?

This model takes two CR2 batteries. I went to various venues in search of batteries (Radio Shack, other stores, etc) and was quoted about $16 for two batteries. They are 3 volts each and really nothing special, other than lithium (wow).

I do know that Canon offered a AAA battery pack that is able to convert this mess into a more user friendly mode, but I often wonder if the 'esoteric' battery requirements are more to promote battery sales (a deal made here?) or what. I refuse to pay $16 in order to check whether the camera actually works. I even got creative and used two 6V alkaline batteries that had been halfway used up but the indicator on the camera said 'battery low' so even that potential 12V (combined) was not enough.

If I do not get an answer here I will try to hook up, with wires, four fresh AAA cells just to check things out. Obviously, I am not the type of person who spends freely like most 'consumers' are prone to do in a culture that encourages such. - David Lyga (not cheap, but frugal)

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Using a 12V battery on a 6V design will most probably destroy the electronics if the batteries are strong enough. Probably you were just lucky. These AF Cameras demand quite a bit of current - button cells simply break down hence the "lo bat" sign.
    The idea to hook up 4 alkaline (AA not AAA) cells in series is a good idea - thats what the battery packs do. Double check the polarity!

Personally I'm fine with cameras which take 2CR5 and avoid the 2*CR123 or 2*CR2 ones exactly for this reason.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    The camera looks to be in mint condition. What is it worth?
    If it's a 35mm slr, then the answer is "not very much."

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Some battery prices are truly outrageous. I hate autofocus cameras but was 'forced' to take in a Canon Rebel 2000 with sharp kit lens (28 - 80) in a deal, for peanuts. But there are no batteries in it so I do not even know if it works. The camera looks to be in mint condition. What is it worth?

This model takes two CR2 batteries. I went to various venues in search of batteries (Radio Shack, other stores, etc) and was quoted about $16 for two batteries. They are 3 volts each and really nothing special, other than lithium (wow).

I do know that Canon offered a AAA battery pack that is able to convert this mess into a more user friendly mode, but I often wonder if the 'esoteric' battery requirements are more to promote battery sales (a deal made here?) or what. I refuse to pay $16 in order to check whether the camera actually works. I even got creative and used two 6V alkaline batteries that had been halfway used up but the indicator on the camera said 'battery low' so even that potential 12V (combined) was not enough.

If I do not get an answer here I will try to hook up, with wires, four fresh AAA cells just to check things out. Obviously, I am not the type of person who spends freely like most 'consumers' are prone to do in a culture that encourages such. - David Lyga (not cheap, but frugal)
    Ditch/swap it for an older Nikon AF model that runs on AAs, e.g., 8008, 8008s, N90s and others. Don't fry it with ill-informed hacks.

A few months back I saw a rack of fresh Energizer CR223 on sale for cheap(like 3 bucks). Know that these are just two CR123 dressed in a plastic case. A couple of my Sekonic meters take these usually pricey single CR 123s. Trick is just to remove the cells from the CR223 case. Voila! 2 CR123s for $1.50 each.
    Last edited by CGW; 05-02-2012 at 08:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David:
    I don't know if there is one near you, but I've had great luck with the Batteries Plus chain of stores. You can visit in person or they do mail order, and their website even has a nifty table detailing which batteries are required for most makes of film cameras. Their prices seem to be less than most retailers, too. If nothing else, it would be a nice source of information on the going price of a battery, in case searching eBay for batteries is a better solution for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had some very good luck on Ebay sourcing batteries. Like the PX625 silver cells and LR44 silver cells.

I see CR2 batteries from China for $4.91 for a pair free shipping. Yep, it will take two or more weeks to get but the price is right.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought a pair of rechargeable CR2 batteries - with a charger - from eBay for about $12, as I recall. Again, they're shipped from China but it's hard to beat that deal.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I use these (http://www.dealextreme.com/p/panason...ack-904?item=1), $6 for a five pack. They're excellent (the shop as well as the batteries).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have 2 Rebel 2000 bodies and the associated BP200 grips that take AA (not AAA) batteries.

They are good little cameras. They must have been very popular in their heyday, because they sell for very little money now. I think I paid about $20.00 for each of them - with kit lenses.

I picked up the BP200 grips at a camera swap - $10.00 for both of them.

I also bought a few CR2 batteries through eBay, because without the BP200 grip the Rebel 2000 is fairly small and incredibly light. Here is a typical eBay listing - 4 batteries for less than $8.00 http://www.ebay.ca/itm/4-CR2-CR-2-DL...item1e6da1697c
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Lithium batteries last long than one may imagine. I think I probably changed the Lithium battery of my Yashica T3 twice in its life. They seem to be immune from auto-discharge. You only "pay" the energy that you actually consume. IIRC I changed the battery last in 2004.

With my Yashica T3 a 6V Lithium battery 2CR5 is declared to last around 60 rolls of 24 exposure when 50% of them is taken with flash. They also die slowly, so that you don't really need to have some spare battery with you.

For photographic purposes they tend to be superior to rechargeable batteries, because they don't let you suddenly without energy. If you plan to use the camera only occasionally a Lithium battery is probably the best option you have.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin