Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,666   Online: 1183

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Helios 40-2 85mm f1.5 lens

I just recently acquired a Helios 40-2 85mm f1.5 lens Nikon F mount. I've been doing a little hunting online but have not come across much for this lens in a Nikon mount. Does anyone here know much about these lenses? I'm not really sure if I should keep it or get it in the hands of someone that will use it more than I would. I don't tend to shoot a lot of 35mm nor portraits! Anyway, if you have thoughts/experiences with this lens I would love to hear what you think of them.

Thanks,
    Matt
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    MFLenses has a lot of information on the Russian lenses if you poke around on that site a bit. Search it using google like this...

site:mflenses.com Helios 40

At least for me, google searching sites like that tends to provide better results. I'm guessing that your lens has an adapter on it for Nikon mount?

I have a rather nice Helios 44 58/2 (in M39) and a Tair 11a 135/2.8 (in M42) that I keep meaning to get some time on my Canon. The Helios is a rather neat, very early silver one, SN starting with 00 with the 13 bladed aperture. The Tair is just in great condition and another nice bokeh lens. I need to get some more time with those lenses, they make interesting photos.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If it's a Nikon mount, it must've been mount converted as they only came in M42. It would be one of the rarer ones.

They are great for dreamy bokeh portraiture. If you don't do portraiture, then perhaps it would be better used in someone else's hands :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rather rare, I would think. I had one in M42 mount but I didn't care for its look and it's a bit of a beast to handle, so I sold it on. I bet a Nikon mount version would sell for pretty good money.

dpn
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It'd be cool if it were modified "native" F-mount, but I bet it's an M42 version with a Nikon adapter attached ... I had one of these lenses with a Pentax K adapter that was so firmly attached it was almost unremovable.

That lens has an interesting look, but you've really got to keep the subject in the center sweet spot. This makes for an awkward composition.

It's also the single most frustrating lens I've ever used. I regret selling mine a bit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it is the one mentioned in the beginning here: LINK It came directly to me from Russia, he was visiting San Francisco and brought it to trade!
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does it focus to infinity?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, now I have the lens with me. It was at home yesterday when I posted! It does focus to infinity, so it is with the glass adapter. Interesting lens. Now I just have to figure out what the heck to do with it.
    --------------------

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Some Russian lenses were made in F mount. I think that Helios is among them.
    Also watch out not to force them to screw in more then possible, as the are notorious for breaking mounts.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you think about selling this lens, please let me know. If the price is right, I might be interested

greetz

Mirko

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin