Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,882   Posts: 1,520,512   Online: 820

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My standard kit is F-100 with 24-85 f/2.8 - 4. Very versatile and competent. I rarely use tele but that's for my style of shooting.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Go one camera and one lens - whatever length you have on it at the time you pick it up. Then you can concentrate on the pictures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is the "one lens" school of thought, which has some merit, but when you get home and look at all your pictures, it's a lot more interesting too see some different angles IMO.
    Last edited by Hatchetman; 05-08-2012 at 11:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would bring 3 lenses:

28mm

50mm

105mm

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'll be backpacking through Eastern Europe (and elsewhere) this summer, and my packing list includes these:

Canon F-1n
    Canon Ftb
    35mm f2
    50mm f1.4
    Sekonic light meter
    A whole lotta film

If all that doesn't fit into my 37L backpack, I'll leave one body and the 35mm at home. We'll see.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    There is the "one lens" school of thought, which has some merit, but when you get home and look at all your pictures, it's a lot more interesting too see some different angles IMO.
    Are you familiar with William Eggleston? There's a great documentary about him, a British TV production, and he has this 'promise' to himself to never shoot the same thing more than once, because he ends up being too confused in choosing what to print if there's more than one negative of each - i.e. which is best.
    I'm not saying you're wrong with your 'different angles' (this is subjective, after all), but I thought I would provide a counter argument to your idea, just for fun of discussing it.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    Take only 50mm lens. Light, compact, and you will not lose time thinking which lens to use now...
    I usually travel with 28-50-105 and never miss any other lens. But then, I have also travelled with 50 alone... and never missed any other lens!

Anyway, just like there is personal style and sensitivity and interest, there are different kinds of travel, so every post in this thread is really talking about something else. For example, I typically hike some 15 miles a day in my travels, so even that 105 can get close to going over the cliff sometimes.

Don't forget a backup box--film machines are beginning to show their age.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What lenses work depends on the person and the type of work that's produced. If you don't know what lenses to bring, that means you don't really know what you are doing with photography.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    ...just for fun of discussing it.
    okee, i'm in: the need to use "different angles" is inversely proportional to the photographic value of the scene

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Are you familiar with William Eggleston? There's a great documentary about him, a British TV production, and he has this 'promise' to himself to never shoot the same thing more than once, because he ends up being too confused in choosing what to print if there's more than one negative of each - i.e. which is best.
    I'm not saying you're wrong with your 'different angles' (this is subjective, after all), but I thought I would provide a counter argument to your idea, just for fun of discussing it.
    I think I'm generally on board with Eggleston's theory. Shooting the same subject with different lenses sounds pretty boring to me. I rarely switch lenses when I'm out and about. But I often change lenses before I pack my bag. It just makes life more interesting to work with different tools.

Also I still do slide shows for the family. Close-ups, landscape, people, I like to mix it up for the audience. It's all good, I was just pointing out one aspect.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin