Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,869   Online: 877

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, another vote for 35mm with yellow filter. Makes the best tourist shots.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just got back from 2 week trip. I was using:

Nikon N75 and 35mm f2 autofocus lens
    and
    Yashica fx3 and Yashica ML 24mm f2.8

BTW, no measurable base density change after two runs through the airport x-ray compared to similar film that did not make the trip.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I think Mr. Ambivalent is traveling to Europe, possibly from the U.S., and wants to know which lenses to bring - since he can't conveniently nip back to the house for that other lens.
    I was commenting on the "When I am in Europe" bit. Not being able to nip back for another lens applies if you are in any country. No big deal - it just struck me as strange.

Shooter
    35mm
    With couple of exceptions, American cities are so spread out, streets so wide, buildings and people so far from each other, that you will need a long telephoto to make similar kind of shot to the one made in most European cities with a 50mm.
    Just my experience.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If I'm doing multiple lenses, it's a 35 and 50. Most times I'm happy with just one. Depending on where I'm going, I might be taking an SLR, in which case I take a 50 1.4 and 100mm+ just for the SLR (usually it's just a rangefinder). Most of the time I'm perfectly happy to shoot 12 hours a day with a 35, 40 or 50mm. I worry more about how long I can carry the bag and less about how much I'm taking (once you take one lens you'll "have to take another" "just in case" — if you only have one, you adapt (from my experience)).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by xxloverxx View Post
    If I'm doing multiple lenses, it's a 35 and 50. Most times I'm happy with just one. Depending on where I'm going, I might be taking an SLR, in which case I take a 50 1.4 and 100mm+ just for the SLR (usually it's just a rangefinder). Most of the time I'm perfectly happy to shoot 12 hours a day with a 35, 40 or 50mm. I worry more about how long I can carry the bag and less about how much I'm taking (once you take one lens you'll "have to take another" "just in case" — if you only have one, you adapt (from my experience)).
    Biggest inconvenience is carrying too many things. Apart from important documents I would like to carry a SLR and a 35mm lens + 20 rolls of film and you can leave the rest of the rolls in the hotel.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On a recent trip to NYC I took an Olympus OM-1 with a 28 f3.5, 50 f1.8 and 135 f3.5 Zuiko lenses along with a Rolleicord. I realized once I was there I really needed a 24 f2.8 lens, unfortunately none of the usual suspects (B&H, Adorama etc.) had one in stock. I do plan to go back next year and I might instead go with the FM2 so I can use my 24 f2.8, 28 f2.8 and maybe sub out my 50 for a Nikkor 35 f2 and 105 f2.5. I got a year to figure that out. The Rolleicord is still going along for the ride too most likely. I liked having medium format with me too.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might find you want wide more than usual.

If you're keen on bringing a 100 consider the small Series E - could give you more room for a 200 or, as suggested, a PC lens.
    RTC

Shooter
    35mm

SURVEY SAYS!

Well, we're back. Frankfurt, Krakow, Prague, Vienna, Florence, Venice, Sienna, Volterra, Verona, Munich and Frankfurt. A few of these just long enough to make the train we HAD to make. It was hot. It was humid. Other than that it was wonderful.

I brought ten rolls of Tri-X and shot 9 of them. Three rolls of Ektachrome 100G and shot none of them. A hand check leaving Denver was easy but I wasn't sure about Europe so I shot the Tri-X at 250/320-ish. (I had wanted to do some at 1000/1600 and stand proc. in Adonal.) A security lady in Munich said I my film could skip the X-ray but then she dropped the bag in the tub and sent it through. The guy at the screen looked at my bag for quite a while, clicking through the layers, and then sent it out and said something to another woman. She picked up my camera, a straight F with a 50mm f/2 Ai, and asked me to turn it on! I'm not lying here. She was certainly old enough to have used a film camera in her youth; perhaps just didn't see them at all anymore. I took the lens off and showed her the mirror and offered to let her take a picture but she declined. The film went through various X-ray machines three times. We were otherwise able to stay inside secure areas and avoid a couple more hits. I abandoned the color stuff to my son and a digital; it was liberating.

I took an F, an F3 and 20, 28, 35, 50 and 105. The plan was to bag the 35 but at seven ounces (f/2.8) it was too easy to include. I had my son carry the 105 for me . I used the 35 and 50 for probably 80% of my shots, 28 for 15% and the rest with the 20 and 105. For those, they were what I wanted so I'm glad I carried them. It was all rather light and if I had to carry the 105 too it still would have been fine. The 50 was f/2 and everything else was f/2.8(5). Having 1.4 would have been handy but I really like the look the 50 f/2 has. No regrets except that it might have been nice to ditch the family and go out alone more than I did. There were many instances where I chose not to take pictures, to just take it all in. No regrets there either.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Glad your back and thanks for the excellent report on what happened during the trip. I am surpised you took THAT big of a selection of glass with you. May I ask what specific results do you like with the 50m f/2? I see that so many people swear by them but never get to any specifics.....is B&W just got "that" look to it? Color give it the old fashioned look from long ago? Just wondering.

My wife LOVES Prague, even with her old film P&S she got some wonderful photos. If you get any real keepers, I think we would all love seeing a few.

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin