Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,652   Online: 799

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

What lenses for traveling with 35mm?

I'm going to be in Eastern-ish Europe for a couple weeks and I'm trying to figure out what lenses to bring. I'll be shooting almost all Tri-X, maybe some Ektachrome 100G (Bringing a Canon Powershot 630A for the "color" stuff if we have to have some snaps.) I'm traveling very light and want one camera and perhaps three lenses. I have some Nikkors and can get my hands on just about anything I don't have. I'm only interested in B&W street stuff but my wife is an architect and she'll want elevation shots and maybe details.

What has worked for you? I'm thinking 50/1.4, 28/2.8, 20/2.8 and mmmmaybe a 105 because I can't imagine not having one. A 200/4 is pretty light, but...

Open to any thoughts,

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Really it's best to use whatever you are most comfortable with, and what you can bear to carry all day. Your list sounds well rounded, I use a similar setup, with a 50, 28 or 24, and if I go wide I use a 19-35 zoom or the 14mm. These are best for street (the ultra wide less so). The 1.4 should be fine but I always find the the most interesting stuff happens at night so I've setup for the slightly faster set of nikkors. The longer 105 can be handy and depending where your trip might take you the length could be useful at events or shows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    yeah, my standard travel kit is a leica CL with a 40mm, a 25mm, maybe the 15mm and the 90 mm ... very light, small and versatile, although the most versatile thing must be the photographer.

And the Olympus XA with its fixed 35mm lens usually ends up being tucked into a pocket because it is the favorite street shooter because it is so fast to use.

but the real answer is take what you are most comfortable using, what you normally use anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you can get your hands on them, I would suggest two zooms: one in the wide-to-normal focal range and the other in the longer focal range. Between the two zooms you can cover as wide a range of focal lengths as you think you will need. If it's only prime lenses you want opinions on, I would go with the 24/2.8, 50/1.4, and the 180/2.8. All three are very lightweight.
    Bob Walberg

The fix is in!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Way back using Olympus it was 28mm, 50mm and 135mm. Now using Nikon I found that 24/25mm, 50mm and 105mm (Makro if possible) fits the bill perfectly. If 85mm is long enough you could go with a 20mm (or 24mm), a 35mm and an 85mm.
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

S°ren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    35mm
    For me 'very light' would be an Olympus XA and nothing else. Over the years I've perfected travelling with hardly anything, a small shoulder bag is normally my limit. Alas, those days are over for a while as we've got a small baby and now carry more stuff to the shops than I used to take on 4 week holidays!

Years ago I did inter-rail around the Continent and took an F3 with the 16mm fisheye - if I did it now I'd probably choose a 24mm lens. Back then getting film was easier than now, so taking stock with you is essential - the weight of film soon adds up as does it's physical space. Maybe one of these would help:

In any event, one camera, one lens will lighten the load, mean less to worry about and challenge you to find interesting compositions.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After years of experimenting with different combinations, I've come up with my classic 3 lens travel kit:
    20mm (or 18, 19 or 21mm, depending on the system).
    35mm
    Short tele (85-105mm, depending on the system).

In Nikkor terms, the 20mm 2.8 is very good and I liked the 35mm 2.0 much better than the 1.4.
    The 105mm 2.5 is a lovely lens, but relatively big and heavy for its FL (at least my AI version is a monster!). One of the 85mms might make a better travel lens.

The 200mm 4.0 is also a lovely lens and is small for its FL, though that would be a fourth lens.
    In my experience, when I carried a 180/200mm with when travelling, the extra weight usually outweighed ( ) the additional photos it allowed. YMMV!
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take only 50mm lens. Light, compact, and you will not lose time thinking which lens to use now...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=perkeleellinen;1340280
    Years ago I did inter-rail around the Continent and took an F3 with the 16mm fisheye[/QUOTE]

Wow, did you ever touch another fisheye again after?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    28, 50 and 100

-or-

24, 35 and 85

You may be shooting with 35 or 85mm mostly.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Agfa Isolette III: Amazingly simple, yet it produces outstanding negatives.
    Holga 120GFN: EV 11 or EV 12.

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin