Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,684   Posts: 1,482,247   Online: 1064

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pentax k1000?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any camera 20+ years is going to need service. Without exception. Price $75 additional for that.

There is a recently serviced K2, for sale on this site. Looks like a good deal to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    you can use any flash with it. it has a hot shoe
    but you don't need to use the flash on the camera ... there is a pc plug on the body
    to plug the flash into the camera and use it off-body ... or you can get a
    cold shoe handle or strobo / bacharach frame or anything else ...

for your first roll, take 3 exposures of every view .. one with the meter inside straight across
    one with the aperture 2 clicks ( 1 full stop ) overexposed ( + ), and one with it 2 clicks under exposed ( - )
    to see how you want to read your meter. i always expose 1 stop or 1/2 stop over exposed with my k1000.

great camera, have fun !
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the K1000 is THE beginners camera, IMHO. You also have many great lenses to choose from, which use the k-mount.

You might also consider a Pentax screw mount camera, The Spotmatics are great cameras, tanks, very well built ... and the later ones have brighter viewfinders. The earlier ones are still very useable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got my first lesson in photography when I was 10 years old, 30-something years ago, when my dad handed me a K-1000 and said, "If you break this camera, I'll break you!... Now get out of here and don't come back until you finish that roll of film."

Several years later, in high school, my first formal photography teacher had six K-1000s in the cabinet. Once you passed your first test (shooting and printing three pictures with a pinhole camera made from a Quaker oatmeal box) you were allowed to sign out a K-1000. That camera was your hall pass which allowed you to walk around the school to shoot pictures in order to complete your assignments.

When we graduated high school, my brother and I both got Pentax cameras as part of our graduation presents. I still have both of those cameras.

I'm sure a Pentax K-1000 will do just as well for you.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The K 1000 is just a updated Spotmatic F with the k lens mount, a good camera, easy to use and well made, but overpriced, has
    become somewhat of cult camera. I have Spotmatics and a K 1000 and like the Spotmatic better as I can stop down the aperture for depth of feild. I dont recalling using the K 1000 in years. But all said if you can get one a good price go for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have both cameras and either will be fine. One thing to consider is that used K-mount lenses tend to be a little less than used Nikon glass. Just my 2 cents.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used both cameras and either one can be a great camera for you. Both companies produced strong and reliable cameras, especially back in the days of the metal, manual film era.

My preference is certainly for the Pentax K1000. I have been using one since 1984 and it has never let me down. I have no earthly idea how many rolls of film I have put through that camera but it just continues to work. Over the years I have purchased other Pentax cameras and lots more Pentax lenses and I have never regretted my decision. I am not sure I am really a terrific photographer, but that old K1000 certainly taught me a lot about taking pictures.

But, Nikon is also a wonderful brand and produces strong, reliable cameras. Nikon equipment (cameras, lenses, accessories) tend to cost a little more money than Pentax equipment but you will not regret it if you purchase either brand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    the K1000 is THE beginners camera, IMHO. You also have many great lenses to choose from, which use the k-mount.

You might also consider a Pentax screw mount camera, The Spotmatics are great cameras, tanks, very well built ... and the later ones have brighter viewfinders. The earlier ones are still very useable.
    "THE beginner's camera" only because, when new, it was inexpensive, much less so than some of the other options here, and thus became required or recommended for many photography classes and got a bit of a cult following.

Again, nothing wrong with it but it depends on the deal. If it's cheap, go for it. If you have to pay used camera dealer prices an MX or KX (depending on whether you prefer a smaller or larger camera) in comparable condition is a better camera at a usually lower price. At least the chrome MX is. The black is a lot more money for a less durable finish and a bit of unfair comparison because the K1000 wasn't made in black anyway. Granted I've really fallen for my MX (don't tell the LX, I think she gets jealous.)

Or if you prefer an auto mode look at the K2 in the for sale section here.

Nothing at all wrong with an FE either of course. In spite of the fact I have four K-mount bodies I'm often tempted to get a couple of Nikons too; there's just so much great glass out there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I do like my little K1000, especially with a SMC 50mm, but I find the meters less then robust and would probably suggest another Pentax model or a Nikon.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have several K1000's with a good selection of lenses to play with and they never disappoint me. If all you need or want is a full manual camera, this is it. Very durable and dependable. I would recommend as with any old camera, check the light seals around the film door and the mirror bumper.
    Don't let all the responses and opinions overwhelm you. Most folks have their own likes and dislikes and you will have yours. Chose by price or by the features it has. It's really up to you. Any K mount lens should work on it. You'll have plenty to chose from. I say go for it.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin