Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,484   Online: 900
      
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 63

Thread: Pentax k1000?

  1. #21

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Toronto ON Canada
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    547
    Another to consider would be the Yashica FX series, especiallt the FX-3 series. It uses the Y/C mount anf hence can mount te Yashica lenes that are very god to near excellent and the Zeiss Contax lenese that are some of the best out there. The FX-3 and Yashica lenses borrowed Zeiss and the Contax technology and put out a system that is one of the better and imho is better than the K-1000 body and better than the Pentax lenses though the Pextax, depending o version are no slouches. I have a FX-3 ststem and Ashai S1a system that predates the Spotmatc. The viewfinder in the S1a is one of the best I've ever looked through and though it does not have a built ib meter, I like it better. As a beginner, I recommend learnong to use a handheld meter ast will really teach metering and light evaluaion better than an in-camera metter.

    The Spotmatic and earler Asahi camera used thed M42 mount that can be adapted to the K mount and many of these lenses are considered to bed the best at the time and even today are cobsidered ight up there so, somethings to consider,

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,445
    Images
    66
    The quality of your photographs will not be limited by your camera.

  3. #23
    snegron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hot, Muggy, Florida
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    805
    The K1000 is the Volkswagen Beetle of the 35mm SLR world! A classic in its own sense with a large cult following. My first SLR was a K1000. While it didn't seem tough to me at the time, I was surprised at how much of a beating it took! I once left it on the roof of my car and drove off. It fell and bounced on the asphalt road resulting in only a scratch!

    I will admit that I always wanted an MX or an ME Super, but the K1000 was the only camera I could afford at the time. I later moved to Nikon and have been collecting and using different SLR's ever since (mostly Nikon though).

    I would suggest going with an FM2. There is more growth potential with an FM2 as you can add a motor drive and it has a depth of field lever (not to mention faster top shutter speed as well as much faster flash synch). I find that both cameras are equally tough and both operate in full manual without the need for batteries (except to power the meter in both cases).

    If you can swing it, I would also consider an F with FTN Photomic Metered Prism; my favorite camera of all time (second place going to the F3HP). The F is a true tank of a camera and has the same shutter speeds of a K1000. There is something special about shooting with an F that simply can't be described!

  4. #24
    Pioneer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Elko, Nevada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,087
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    The F is a true tank of a camera and has the same shutter speeds of a K1000. There is something special about shooting with an F that simply can't be described!
    Yeah. It is known to most as a back ache!

    Just kidding of course (I think.) The F is a true classic and everyone should try one on for size at least once.

  5. #25
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,040
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    The K1000 is the Volkswagen Beetle of the 35mm SLR world! A classic in its own sense with a large cult following. My first SLR was a K1000. While it didn't seem tough to me at the time, I was surprised at how much of a beating it took! I once left it on the roof of my car and drove off. It fell and bounced on the asphalt road resulting in only a scratch!

    I will admit that I always wanted an MX or an ME Super, but the K1000 was the only camera I could afford at the time. I later moved to Nikon and have been collecting and using different SLR's ever since (mostly Nikon though).

    I would suggest going with an FM2. There is more growth potential with an FM2 as you can add a motor drive and it has a depth of field lever (not to mention faster top shutter speed as well as much faster flash synch). I find that both cameras are equally tough and both operate in full manual without the need for batteries (except to power the meter in both cases).

    If you can swing it, I would also consider an F with FTN Photomic Metered Prism; my favorite camera of all time (second place going to the F3HP). The F is a true tank of a camera and has the same shutter speeds of a K1000. There is something special about shooting with an F that simply can't be described!
    Just so. But now you can get a comparable MX for less than a K1000, and have that DOF preview, option of motor drive etc.

    Nothing wrong with an FM2 either. Fine camera.

    I think it's mostly the lack of DOF preview on the K1000 that bothers me, something I'd always miss and do when I shoot with mine.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I think it's mostly the lack of DOF preview on the K1000 that bothers me, something I'd always miss and do when I shoot with mine.
    Actually, the K1000 does have an unofficial DOF preview that you wouldn't want to use for every shot but can be pressed into service on the odd occasion.

    Simply press the lens release lock and rotate the lens a few degrees and long before it falls out of the bayonet mount the spring loaded aperture assembly will close the diaphragm to the selected aperture. Perhaps not something to try for the first time when leaning over the Grand Canyon, but get a feel for it over your sofa!

    Steve

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Falkland Islands: not any more now I'm in Lincolnshire UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    198
    It's a great camera, I had one for twenty years (it was my only camera for most of that time). In my opinion depth of field preview is a waste of time, the image is too dark to make a useful judgement. The only drawback I can see is the film loading, I always found it fiddly and never got used to it. A Nikkormat is a better camera.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    153
    Images
    52
    I bought a Spotmatic new in 1968 while I was in the military. After 20 years of faithful service and a couple minor repairs, my camera repair man told me that it was worn out. He suggested a K1000 because the insides are very much the same as the Spotmatic. True, it does not have self-timer or DOF preview, however it has had lenses manufactured by various companies for decades. I also once owned a ME Super, but gave it to my niece because I like using a camera that does not require a battery to operate (other than the light meter). I put it away when I got my Leica M6 in 1998, but recently got it out to shoot some B&W of trees blooming because I could use a macro lens on it. I was amazed at how good the photos looked. A few of them are posed on this site.

    A student camera, yes, but a good one.

  9. #29
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,040
    Quote Originally Posted by NormanV View Post
    It's a great camera, I had one for twenty years (it was my only camera for most of that time). In my opinion depth of field preview is a waste of time, the image is too dark to make a useful judgement. The only drawback I can see is the film loading, I always found it fiddly and never got used to it. A Nikkormat is a better camera.
    If you can't see the image well enough when stopped down to judge depth of field you need your eyes examined - or more practice. Far from a waste of time I consider it pretty much a requirement in any camera I buy. I only own a K1000 because it was given to me.

    For a beginner that lack may not be noticed. I would say that I guarantee you will miss it as time goes on, but apparently at least one person doesn't. I would, badly, and do when I shoot with that one.

    I don't like the film loading either. My LX and MX are better but neither is as good as my Ricoh XR-7. That similar but refined system should have been stolen by every camera maker until they finally developed the auto load on the models with built in winders.

  10. #30
    pstake's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    715
    Images
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by NormanV View Post
    It's a great camera, I had one for twenty years (it was my only camera for most of that time). In my opinion depth of field preview is a waste of time, the image is too dark to make a useful judgement. The only drawback I can see is the film loading, I always found it fiddly and never got used to it. A Nikkormat is a better camera.
    I also rarely (if ever) use depth of field preview. After while, you get to where you can visualize the depth of field based on the aperture you're using. Most of my cameras have a preview function, so apparently it's a sought after feature by a good chunk of the camera-buying population, but there are at least two of us for whom it's negligible. And I would say it need not be viewed as a must-have feature.

    As always, YMMV.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin