Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,079   Online: 1150

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Pentax k1000?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first "real" SLR was a K1000, bought shortly before I got my entry-level EOS Rebel X. I've gotten some pretty nice pics out of both of 'em, but the Pentax took more care and thought, and I ended up getting some of my more memorable shots from it.
    That camera was stolen out of my van a few years later, and about a year ago I picked up a replacement. IIRC, I paid about $17 for it... and the only problem was a dying battery (replaced) and some poorly re-applied leather on the right front of the body. I fixed that too, and it's just as nice now as the one I lost.

...come to think of it... there's one more thing I need... the wind lever cover.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Too old to care View Post
    Update on an MX to replace my K1000. There is nothing wrong with the K1000, but I cannot focus it well anymore due to my eyes. So, when a MX was listed with split image viewfinder and a 90 day warranty I jumped on it. It arrived yesterday and looked better than expected. However, it had a problem so it is on the way back for repair, I hope.

First impressions, it is like Porsche compared to a Mustang when feeling it, looking through the viewfinder, turning the dials, etc. It feels and sounds like quality when operated, the K1000, well it doesn't, it just feels heavy. Of course it will take no better photos because you are using the same lens. That said, if it were me and I wanted a K1000, I would look seriously at the MX first.

Wayne
    Sorry it had a problem and hope you get it fixed, but it seems you saw very quickly what I and some other MX fans have been saying. It's a really, really nice camera. (When not needing repair of course, which would be true of any camera.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    The only thing I'd change about the MX would be to make the film speed go to 3200 or, better yet, 6400 as I do shoot TMZ at those speeds. It only tops out at 1600. But it's easy to meter at 1600 then just close down one or two stops, quicker to do than mention. This is much less of a problem on a manual camera than an automatic one. Most often you want to do this with the shutter speed since the aperture is usually wide open at those light levels anyway, and it's not that easy to change the shutter speed from eye level on the MX, another (very) minor quibble.
    I've never been able to figure out why they made the shutter dial detents so gol-derned stiff. I have gotten used to it well enough to single-fingertip it and have the callus to prove it. The ISO range, yeah, that's another thing that would have been nice to have been greater- though as you say, easy to get around. Not having mirror lockup would be a problem were it not for the finger flick MLU (pre-release, actually) working so well on my MX's. I prefer the MX over even the LX for mirror-up operation because the cloth shutter has very little vibration on opening-- definitely less than the LX's metal shutter.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin