Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,523   Online: 1003

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pentax k1000?

Shooter
    35mm

Pentax k1000?

Ok, i was set on getting the Nikon fe2...
    But, i just found a Pentax k1000 for a really good price plus it comes with a lens.
    Can people please share their opinions on this camera? in particular how it would be for a beginner?
    I've looked it up in flickr groups and it seems like good quality, i have downloaded the manual from some random site and read the specs on wikipedia.
    I'm a little confused when i read the manual it doesn't mention the aperture in basic set up but wikipedia says the camera is completly manual (scary!!).
    Well any thoughts?
    From Casey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a great beginner camera. Good and solid. There is a meter in the camera, but you have to adjust the aperture and shutter speed manually until the needle goes to the middle, a great way to learn the relationship between the two. The k1000 also fires at all speed without batteries, it has a mechanical shutter. I say get the k1000 if you are beginner, you will love it.

(By that I don't mean the FE2 is a bad camera, i shoot FE most of the time, but that's because I am lazy)
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry i need to add another question hope thats ok,
    What flash can it use? are they still sold? or do i have to find it 2nd hand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's considered by many to be a perfect beginner's camera, though it lacks a depth-of-field preview, a self-timer and a meter switch (the meter is always on, so you should always use a lens cap - I prefer hoods...).
    Other Pentax models, such as the Kx, K2, etc. are arguably better and possibly cheaper too (less hype).

Basically any non-TTL flash will work. That is, any flash which will work in "Manual" or (non-TTL) "Auto" mode.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    The Pentax K1000 was the recommended camera by many colleges for their photography courses.
    A suggestion: get a photography manual from some 20 or 30 years ago. It is a good reading!

the manual it doesn't mention the aperture in basic set up
    If you are referring to the lens aperture or maximum F-stop, the manual wouldn't know what lens you have! All modern SLR have interchangeable lens: you can take it off and put a different one.
    I'm guessing the sample you saw would have a Pentax 50MM, probably the F2.0 or the F1.8. It is rare to see a K1000 with the F1.4.
    BTW, the smaller the number, the larger aperture it will have.

There's no better way for a beginner: one camera and one lens. If you like the K1000, then go for it: it is a fantastic camera.

For your flash question, yes, they are still made, but it is cheaper and easier to find a second hand one. There's literally thousands of models that would fit.
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you get it at a good price, it's fine. I have one - given to me for free in immaculate, like new condition. In that case, it was a good deal.

But that said, I don't understand the appeal of this camera. I also have a Pentax MX for which I paid $79 in supposed BGN condition (it looks nearly flawless and works flawlessly) from KEH. The MX is a great camera and far superior in every way. Smaller, lighter, far better built, interchangeable focusing screens, big bright viewfinder (the K1000 isn't bad, but the MX is better) with depth of field preview, yet it sells used for more money. Right now KEH shows a BGN MX (chrome - the black ones are a lot more money, even though the chrome is also more durable - if you're concerned with best bang for the buck, go chrome) listed for $60, and BGN K-1000s for $105 and $109.

Now if I could get the K1000 for, say, $35 versus $70 for the MX, they'd be priced about like their relative merits in my view. Or, in my case, free - as an old friend used to say, "you don't bitch about free."

So it really comes down in my view to just how inexpensively you can get it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    It's considered by many to be a perfect beginner's camera, though it lacks a depth-of-field preview, a self-timer and a meter switch (the meter is always on, so you should always use a lens cap - I prefer hoods...).
    Other Pentax models, such as the Kx, K2, etc. are arguably better and possibly cheaper too (less hype).

Basically any non-TTL flash will work. That is, any flash which will work in "Manual" or (non-TTL) "Auto" mode.
    Hey, so would my canon 430exII set to manual work? ( i use that with my digital camera).
    if not the yongnuo sold on ebay is affordable maybe that?

Assuming it's still there, i will be buying as soon as i sort the flash out...so excited!

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=Rol_Lei Nut;1340287]Other Pentax models, such as the Kx, K2, etc. are arguably better and possibly cheaper too (less hype).
    QUOTE]

For me the KX is the pick of the bunch, having depth of field preview, a meter switch, silicon cells and not being reliant on batteries for anything other than the meter. The KM is OK but still doesn't have a meter switch.
    The K2 is an excellent camera, but is dependent on batteries and is possibly a little OTT for the beginner who wants to learn.

Never forget the humble Pentax Spotmatic!!

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    The K1000 is probably the quintessential student photography camera. No DOF preview, set the aperture and release the lens.

You need a self timer, you can add one.

The brown leather K1000 SE is a looker but it's all good . . . ;-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nikon FE VS Pentax K1000

It all comes down to what you are going to use it for, both cameras have great range of lenses avalible, the k1000 has less features
    than the FE, the k1000 will work with out a battery and is very strong you can drop it get a dent and keep shooting. The nikon FE will take a motor drive
    and there are focus screen options, has a basic Auto mode, it is also very solid also and is very reliable, but it needs battery's to work.

I would buy the FE unless you are planing going to a harsh enviroment then the K1000 is the one I would buy.

A Nikkormat FT-2 might be another option, you get a timer, mirror lock and preview and it is a tough as a K1000, a pentax K2 or Kx would also be a option.

Johnkpap

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin