Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,193   Online: 1019

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikon FM2, Nikon F5, Nikon D800

Cheers Armin
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FILM:
    Nikon FG, F100, F5 or F6
    Minolta Autocord, Maxxum 7000
    Yashica Mat 124 *
    Pentax K1000 *, Spotmatic
    Konica Hexar
    Voigtlander Bessa *
    Fuji GA645
    Mamiya 7II
    Rolleicord, 35
    Olympus OM-1

DIGITAL:
    Nikon D1, D40 or D50, D90, D800
    Canon EOS Mark (any)
    Fuji X100 **, XPro-1 **
    Leica M9
    iPhone

* Aren't these already classics?
    ** Already look like classics

Edit: Some of these aren't 35mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by OddE View Post
    -I'd argue for the Nikon FM3a - its hybrid shutter control makes it both a fully mechanical camera not reliant on batteries to do its thing AND a modern AE-equipped, electronic shutter control MF camera.

That aside, the build quality is terrific, handling is great and the built-in center-weighted meter works very well.

Yup, the FM3a is likely to become a classic somewhere down the line. (I guess one can argue that it already IS a classic, albeit a very recent one!)
    Amen!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay here is my take for 35mm

Nikon F4s even though I use F6 but the F6 is too much like a digital camera.
    For total manual, Nikon Fm3a (needle metering is nice during the day but not at all useful at night) or Nikon fm2n (loved the LED lights used for metering, works wonder at night)

For *GASP* digital, it would be
    D700 (it still qualifies for 35mm right?).

Shooter
    35mm
    Nikon D800
    DIGITAL:
    Nikon D1, D40 or D50, D90, D800
    Canon EOS Mark (any)
    Fuji X100 **, XPro-1 **
    Leica M9
    iPhone
    For *GASP* digital, it would be
    D700 (it still qualifies for 35mm right?).
    No Sir, it doesn't qualify as 35mm. 35mm is a type of film.
    None of them are 35mm film cameras and this forum is for Analogue Photography and that means Film.
    BTW, I agree with the Nikon F4 as being classic. It is already as it is over 20 years old. And I have 2 of them!
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    Medium Format
    All 35mm cameras will eventually become classics but, fewer will become collectibles. Classic, vintage and antique relate to age rather than value but, sadly we tend to confuse the claassification with value.

As for future collectibles, there are the obvious such as Leica but I suspect at some point the East German and Russian cameras will become collectibles in the west and possibly some of the Chinese offerings more because of rarity than quality. Also, pre-wwII period German offerings from some of the lesser companies as well as early post wwII models.

I'm going out on the limb here but suspect the Pentax K-1000 and the Yashica FX-3 series, especially the Super will become collectible. Also the slr models being made today; can not remember the company making most of them but, getting the entire series of their offerings seems like an interesting goal, along with both their stock lenses and possibly the better offerings they make.

Minox of any film type is also on the ptential list imho. While the values are depressed on the 9.5mm series, I think there is pressure building now that Monox seems to have finally withdrawn the LX as a useer and only issuing specials and commemeratives. The 35mm models are getting more notice lately and starting to get more positive press from owners and users and I've been noticing a slight uptick in prices.

Others that are obvious include niche market sereis such as 1/2 frame cameras. I had an extensive collection I had paid about $5 for each camera that I eventually traded for my Bronica set. Along, with my Exacta collection and I think the Exactas will continue to rise as more persons today seem to be realizing just ow good they were and how few are around in excellent condition; it was a real user camera. Then add the Alpas, Robots, Tessinas and others of similar ilk and provided your kids live long enough, they might be able to retire.

If nothing else, a large camera collection takes a lot less room to accumulate than an automobile collection or a collection of old stereo gear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ^ Isn't every Leica aside from the ones still being manufactured considered "classic" and "collectible?" Interesting observation about East German and Eastern European cameras. I agree they could have a future appeal, maybe not like a classic Brownie or Leica or Nikon F or AE-1 or Rolleiflex, but definitely in a more kitschy way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    No Sir, it doesn't qualify as 35mm. 35mm is a type of film.
    None of them are 35mm film cameras and this forum is for Analogue Photography and that means Film.
    BTW, I agree with the Nikon F4 as being classic. It is already as it is over 20 years old. And I have 2 of them!
    Not sure why you quoted me, I already acknowledged they weren't 35mm cameras. Of course, you left out quoting the MF cameras, I'm guessing because they are film cameras (could be wrong). I was initially just thinking of future classics in general, most of the ones were 35mm anyways.
    Last edited by h.v.; 05-22-2012 at 10:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    the Minolta Autocord.
    A nice camera, though it didn't have auto and lacked a cord...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    h.v.
    Please read the post before mine: there's a question there, which I answered and quoted other posts to illustrate my answer.
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zewrak View Post
    +1
    Usually, what turns classic is what you see alot of. Instamatics, Brownies, Canon 300D will mostlikely be more of classics then Pentax 67 or Linhof technicas or Leica m2. Because most people wouldn't be able to pick them out in a lineup.
    Obviously, "classic" is kind of a vague term that can cover a lot of ground. A thing can be classic because it was popular at the time, and hence still recognizable today, or innovative in some way (which might not necessarily mean actual invention but making invention useful), or setting a standard for quality. But the thing still has to be valued today for these attributes. I can see why some might say the Argus C3, because it was significant in introducing 35mm to the masses in the US, but hardly anyone actually wants one now. They pile up in antique stores and flea markets for $5 each.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin