Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,481   Posts: 1,542,704   Online: 956

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Which cameras are set to become "classics"?

Was discussing with colleagues recently, which of the still available (albeit secondhand) film cameras are set to become regarded as "classics" of their time? We only discussed film cameras, since the digital stuff comes with built in obsolesance.

We disregarded Leica M series, since they have already achieved the "classic" status, and are priced accordingly.
    The Nikon F and FM2n were immediate contenders, both being "pure" mechanical models that leave all the technical decisions to the photographer; if those decisions of composition, exposure, lens choice, film development are all perfect, then these two cameras are so well engineered, they will translate these actions into superb pictures and last a lifetime.. The old Pentax Spotmatic was also mentioned, a straigforward mechanical camera that fitted the hand beautifully, and I for one, still remember the superb quality of those Super Takumar lenses.

These cameras can still be had for reasonable prices, but for how much longer. Any more ideas for tomorrow's "classics"?

Shooter
    Pinhole
    The nobel and majestic Holga.....

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    K1000
    Andy

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    Was discussing with colleagues recently, which of the still available (albeit secondhand) film cameras are set to become regarded as "classics" of their time? We only discussed film cameras, since the digital stuff comes with built in obsolesance.

We disregarded Leica M series, since they have already achieved the "classic" status, and are priced accordingly.
    The Nikon F and FM2n were immediate contenders, both being "pure" mechanical models that leave all the technical decisions to the photographer; if those decisions of composition, exposure, lens choice, film development are all perfect, then these two cameras are so well engineered, they will translate these actions into superb pictures and last a lifetime.. The old Pentax Spotmatic was also mentioned, a straigforward mechanical camera that fitted the hand beautifully, and I for one, still remember the superb quality of those Super Takumar lenses.

These cameras can still be had for reasonable prices, but for how much longer. Any more ideas for tomorrow's "classics"?
    Seems like you've answered your own question by limiting the game to "mechanical" models(BTW, where's the F2?). They still produce gas for classic cars. Film for classic cameras? Who knows?

Not a big fan of holy relics/celebrity worship.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any of the Voigtlander Bessa series.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bessa r,k 1000,om 1,om 2,and on..

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Leica II
    Leica IIIg
    Voigtlander Vitomatic IIb
    Voigtlander Vitomatic IIa
    Zeiss Contax IIa
    Zeiss Ikon Contaflex
    Werra
    Voigtlander Vitomatic IIICS
    Voigtlander Prominent

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Classic 35mm cameras:
    Nikon F2 Titanium
    Argus C3
    Canon F1
    Canon QL17 GIII
    Pentax Spotmatic
    Minolta SRT101
    Olympus OM1
    Leica MP

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Bessa series is an intersting choice, I've not used them, but I've heard that there's not that much diffence in the quality of the lenses when compared with those from Leica, yet Leica are still able
    to maintain the very high price levels for the M lenses. As for the suggestion re. the OM1 & 2, I'm less convinced. I've had experience of these in professional use, I'm of the opinion Olympus didn't develop these over a period of time.......the OM1 suffered through the limitation of a 1/60th flash sync.....and was generally found by professionals to be not "tough" enough for heavy use........I recall the OM2 had battery drain problems.
    The Zuiko lenses though, particularly the fixed focal length ones, are excellent.

Shooter
    35mm
    another vote for the Minolta SRT and Argus C3

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin