Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,052   Posts: 1,561,203   Online: 1018

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I think the instant news cycle is a bigger factor than X-rays and film. One is much more likely to lose images because of a data/storage problem than from X-rays. But now, photographers reporting from the field have to get images edited and up and ready for print and the web ideally within hours of when they were taken to be newsworthy and commercially viable. For that kind of reporting, there just isn't time to scan film. After 48 hours, it isn't news. For longer term documentary projects, it's a different story.

Losing images due to data storage problems is a major problem with digital. Some images I shot around 9-10 years ago have gone "corrupt". It seems entirely arbitary, some images are OK, other are not, yet they were all saved at the same time in the same way. What is going to happen to historical archives for the future?....Yes I know the advice is to keep resaving digital images every few years or so. But in reality, has anyone got the time or even the inclination to do this? It takes enough time to constantly download and save new images, without having to constantly resave a growing library of older stuff.

I still shoot film and scan for stock libraries, but here in the UK, anything in the editorial field, whether instant news or long term feature work is expected to be on digital........if you don't shoot digital, you don't work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I think the instant news cycle is a bigger factor than X-rays and film. One is much more likely to lose images because of a data/storage problem than from X-rays. But now, photographers reporting from the field have to get images edited and up and ready for print and the web ideally within hours of when they were taken to be newsworthy and commercially viable. For that kind of reporting, there just isn't time to scan film. After 48 hours, it isn't news. For longer term documentary projects, it's a different story.

You're exactly right. I have to have stuff in either next day or immediately. It is the time factor that has killed film for photojournalism. Also, departments are caring less and less about good photography. They want you to be able to write, take photographs, shoot video and use social media. One of my journalism instructors had us use Twitter during assignments. During one assignment, I was taking photos. recording audio, writing and posting on Twitter.

We had an incident between a frat house and occupy protesters. I turned in the photo that day, 30 mins after it happened. It was supposed to run next day but didn't. When I saw the newsstand I was both furious and horrified. A photo of the protest earlier with fewer people and nothing going was on the cover. We ran it the next day. It happened on Tuesday, we ran it Thursday.

By then it was already old news. Everyone had seen it because someone with an Iphone took photos and posted them on Facebook. Then through re-posting and word of mouth, the local broadcast stations found out about it and it was all over from then on. Our newspaper had been scooped because of a poor editorial decision. The frat had already been sanctioned for their actions and the controversy was over. Even if we had ran it Wednesday. People would have already seen it because of the immediacy of smartphones and social media.

There just isn't time anymore. I am truly afraid for my future profession.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We are rapidly approaching a time when the entire concept of "news" will no longer hold any meaning. The former "fourth branch of government" will very shortly finish being reduced to a bunch of anonymous people shouting at each other over the Internet, using a never-ending kalidescope of cheap new communication gadets, each person (and gadget) trying to one-up the others. And every "news" conversation will begin and end with the phrase, "You're such an idiot!" Or "jerk!" Or whatever.

Think about it. We're almost there right now...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There's a CNN template in iMovie video editing software for any citizen journalist with an iPhone who wants to submit.

I recently shot a video for PR purposes on my iPhone even while I had a much fancier DSLR around my neck, just because it was more important to edit and post it to YouTube immediately, than it was to have the best quality.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Many wedding photographers fall into this category in practice.

Jose Villa is one. http://josevillablog.com/

Welcome to APUG.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin