Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,060   Online: 882

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Even though it's a modern compact camera, the Olympus Stylus Epic is quite compact and has a superb 35mm f/2.8 lens. It should be a part of everyone's photo arsenal.

Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My vote, Rollei 35. My SE has seen 30 years of use and abuse. Needs a service once in awhile, something most people can do with simple tools. Today it rides in my saddle bags on my bike everywhere I go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about a Minolta-16?
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    CLE + Hologon. Fits in any pocket

Shooter
    35mm
    Ricoh FF-1

Shooter
    Medium Format
    How about a Pentax ME Super with a 40mm F2.8 Pancake LENS

Very small and compact

Johnkpap

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Minox sounds like the camera for you. They are build like a tank, have a ton of features, yet are extremely small and fit right in the hand and are very light weight. If you could swing it, the most modern models like the TLX or LX may be great because they have a great coupled meter for auto exposure. The Minox C is has the same features but is a little larger in size. The Minox B is smaller that all those and has a selenium meter built in, many are not accurate anymore, and the Minox II, II, and III are "meterless". For everyday use, maybe the C would work and be at a good price for you. I don't know what you would want to spend. Good luck!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendewesz View Post
    I've found Olympus XA to be quite good and small but is there something better?
    I've been on this journey for years and tried loads of cameras, however, I keep coming back to the XA. I'm on my third.

I think all cameras have compromises so none are perfect. For me, my rule is to avoid little cameras that cost more than around £50 as I fear they'll fail one day. I'm scared off all the high-end P&S models with no warranties. I borrowed a friend's father's Ricoh GR1s for quite a while but when the opportunity came to buy it off him I turned it down - fearful that it would break one day.

I shot with the Olympus Mju II (Stylus Epic) for a long time and it shares the clam shell design of the XA and is truly pocketable as well as being prolific so example can be found easy. However it has two short comings - it's relatively noisy and there's no way to change the ASA setting. The latter is the most important to me as I like to shoot 800ASA film at 640 - the Mju II can't do this. Other P&S cameras have the same shortcomings: relatively noisy and no ASA setting. The XA excels at all these.

Other cameras I've tried are either fragile (Minox), noisy (Yashica T5) or arcane / expensive (Rollei 35). '70s rangefinders are normally a little bigger, the Olympus 35RC is best but still bigger than the XA. High end stuff like Contax T2/3 and Minolta TC-1 I avoid as I'd be scared they'd break.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Find a Minox Spy Camera with original AGFA based BW film and develop it with original AGFA developer , you will want to bang your head to the wall after seeing the picture quality.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks you for all your propositions, I will check every one of them.

I heard lot of good stuff about Yashica t4, is is really that great?

Got Olympus XA2 for now since I found it in really great condition for 15$, now I need to get through all your cameras.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin