Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,995   Online: 827

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Voitlander Vito II
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendewesz View Post
    I heard lot of good stuff about Yashica t4, is is really that great?
    It has 'cult' status. I don't think it's that great. I bought one new in the '90s (in the UK it's called the T5) and it got stolen, I replaced it with an Olympus Mju II and I never saw any difference in my photos. Last year I printed some of my Yashica negs and comparing them to my Oly negs at 10x8, I don't think the Yashica produces a better photo.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Get bigger pockets.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Voitlander Vito II
    Certainly small when folded. A bit bigger when extended but very usable for street photography. I don't think I would call it a really, REALLY small camera, though.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    For an interesting perspective on how small an analog camera can be while still using a reasonably large format of film - though it may be difficult to get film in the future - look at one of Canon's tiny Elph APS cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It's not super small, but is roughly Stylus Epic size. Ricoh GR1. Great camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    The rea lstrength of the venerated Olympus XA is the lens (35/f2.8), as much so it's cheerfully pocketable size and clever, functional design. Always keep in mind the challenges that Olympus engineers overcame in fitting a 6 element /5 group lens into a tiny body! Who else had done that?? Otherwise, I can think of the Rollei and Minox 'minis' with their quirky, sometimes irritating designs. It's a matter of personal preference. And availability. Many of these old classic 'minis' are now well used (perhaps over-used) and getting one that is reliable and that will serve you for any number of years is conjectural. "Seek and ye shall find."
    +1
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Nikon Lite Touch/AF600. An underrated gem of (fairly) recent vintage. Tiny, robust construction, and a great lens. I am also a big fan of the Canon MC, although it is a little noisy. The Ricoh R1 is a less-expensive alternative to the GR1. Pentax PC35AF, great Pentax lens, manual film advance, manual ISO. Konica Lexio 70 with a 28~70mm lens in a package that is smaller than the XA.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BobD View Post
    Get bigger pockets.
    If I'd like bigger pockets I'd ask on some fashion forum, thank you.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've gone through a €25 compact camera phase over the last few months. First one I got was a Canon Prima Tele. Turned out to be a good bit bigger than I'd anticipated and has the irritating habit of firing the flash any time there isn't BLAZING SUNSHINE. On the other hand it's got a neat half frame switch. I stuck a roll through it and did only diptychs for the last roll. Good fun. I'll probably get rid of it though.
    Next one I got was the above mentioned Nikon af600. Now THERE'S a small camera. Plus it takes nice shots, and you can disable the flash. Doesn't remember the settings though and turns itself off after a couple of minutes which is a bit of a PITA.
    Last one I got was a Konica Big Mini 302. Only slightly bigger than the af600 (although for some reason it SEEMS bigger). Very nice 35mm lens, can turn the flash off and has +/- 1.5 exp. compensation. Again doesn't remember the settings, but you can turn off the flash while the camera is switched off and it'll remember the setting when the camera is switched on again. Then promptly reverts to the defaults when you switch it off. WHY Konica, WHYYY ??!? It's so close and yet so far :-) In addition there's no lens protection, needs to be stuck back into a case when pocketed which is annoying.

None of them have any control over aperture of course and they're all DX-encoded only. I have an XA as well but for some reason I never really took to it.

Woops, some examples of ...
    af600: http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=3158...q=af600&m=text
    Big Mini: http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=3158...ig+mini&m=text
    Canon : http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=3158...f+frame&m=text

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin