Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,233   Posts: 1,532,913   Online: 980

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by TimFox View Post
    If you want an Olympus, restrict yourself to the XA without suffices. The later ones are more auto, but the original XA rangefinder is a great little camera.
    I especially like the detachable flash: without flash it fits nicely into a normal shirt pocket.
    The only drawback is that you can't attach a filter in front of the lens.
    But the XA3 and XA4 are relatively rare and have useful features: one has a 28mm wide angle and the other has macro. The XA1 is to be avoided. The XA2 has a bog-standard Tessar f3.5

David

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Someonenameddavid View Post
    But the XA3 and XA4 are relatively rare and have useful features: one has a 28mm wide angle and the other has macro. The XA1 is to be avoided. The XA2 has a bog-standard Tessar f3.5

David
    The XA3 is the same as the XA2. They just added DX and a couple other minor features. The XA4 has both the 28mm lens and the macro (pretty much a freebie with a 28mm lens). The XA1 is a great camera. The soul of a Trip in the body of an XA. It uses a selenium cell so it never needs batteries. You only get two ASA settings (100 and 400) and it is fixed focus. But neither of these are big drawbacks for a pocket camera.

The three smallest 35mm full frame cameras are the XA's, the Stylus and the Minox. Although individual dimensions vary (e.g. the Minox is taller, but not as thick when closed) they are essentially the same volume. The Minox is a classic clamshell design, so it is much bigger with the lens door open and the lens pulled out. The Minox also has a shoe on top, so it can snag on a pocket. Both the XA's and Stylus use Olympus' classic "sliding dust barrier" so they are the same size opened as closed. With the Stylus you also get a built in flash.

I haven't had the best of luck with the Minox shutters as they get older. The Olympus' seem much more dependable, as befits a camera built by the gods.

Shooter
    35mm
    How about a Pentax Auto 110? It's ridiculous how tiny it is, yet it's a legitimate SLR with a reasonable variety of interchangeable lenses available.
    Sometimes I post my photos on flickr.
    Sometimes I update my tumblr.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by thuggins View Post
    I haven't had the best of luck with the Minox shutters as they get older. The Olympus' seem much more dependable, as befits a camera built by the gods.
    The Minox35 is one of few cameras I really want to possess once again. It's a pity it has such a bad reputation about its soon-to-be-dead electronic shutter. I really wish a company like Cosina would make a copy of that little gem, preferably with a more reliable shutter unit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want great image quality and you want to be able to put it in your pocket there aren't that many cameras that fit the bill. I disagree on the XA and the Yashica T4 and the other second tier P&S's. I don't think the lenses are all that stellar. The lens on the T4 for example is contrasty but not all that sharp when you get into the negative. The images just don't hold up upon enlargement unfortunately. I personally would pass on the Rollei 35 if you don't want your pants to fall down. It is pretty heavy. The miniature Minoxes are fun to use as a novelty (I have one and am probably going to buy a slitter for it) but seriously lack in picture quality unless you are only looking to print 4x6's. The Ricoh GR1 is thin enough to put it in your jeans pocket and the lens is absolutely top notch. Until it died I used it instead of buying a 28mm for my Leica. The lens is that good. It is probably the best all around pocketable camera. I don't want to blow hundreds on a pocket camera again so after a lot of looking I decided to give the Minox 35 a try. I have one coming.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ^ I agree with the above sentiments on the Ricoh GR1 which if my memory is correct I upgraded to after trading in an Olympus XA in 1997. The GR1 lasted only one week before it was killed off in a freak wave on the beach where I left it on top of my t-shirt while I had a swim. You know what happened! I do recall the lens being exceptionally sharp. After that upsetting mishap it was back to finding another XA, which I secured in the autumn of 2000 and kept that until 2005. I don't see many second-hand GR1 specimens about; people are either holding on to them as one of Ricoh's finest, or they are just sparsely distributed. I'm very happy with my XA and the first prints were exceptionally sharp, well exposed.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin