Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,115   Posts: 1,636,777   Online: 1261

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by h.v. View Post
    (does any film camera work with G lenses?).
    Yes, many. Have a look at good old Ken Rockwell's excellent compatibility chart: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

I never really use those types of lenses on film cameras (don't have many anyways) because they were built for digital SLRs with a cropped sensor, which leads to vignetting on film cameras.
    I think you're confusing DX with AF-S. There are many FX AF-S lenses these days, from comparatively cheap to insanely expensive.

I shall definitely keep the F801 in mind because the store in B.C. has one so if the F90 is no good, the F801 might be good.
    Be wary of the sticky back issue on the F90(x). From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_F90:

"However, many F90 and F90x's had problems with the rubberized back, where the rubberized coating would start peeling or turn into a sticky mess.[1] The rubber around the grip and other parts were not affected. This did not affect the functionality of the back but was a nuisance to users. The rubberised coating can however be removed (Once the door has been removed from the camera body) by rubbing with a microfibre towel or similar soaked in Isopropyl Alcohol. This procedure will remove the rubberised top coating without affecting the surface finish of the underlying plastic or the clear film viewing window. The white printed "Vari Program" icons will remain unaffected also."

You could also try to get hold of an F100. They go for around 100 euros here in continental Europe (don't know where you are), which is not all that much more than the F90x. Get one with the newer rewind fork (the initial plastic version tends to break- Google search result link).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ^ Yeah, you're right, I was confusing AF-S and DX. So many terms and classifications it's hard to keep up sometimes. I think I meant that the G lenses wouldn't work with Manual focus cameras because it doesn't have that option. Is the F100 large though? I kinda want something smaller and less in your face. I remember reading about the sticky back issue with the F90, I'll be sure to ask the shop in B.C. if I can't get something locally. Thanks for reminding me! Oh, and I'm in Alberta (Canada).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Is the F100 large though?
    Yes, it's noticeably larger than e.g. the F801s. On quick glance one may even mistake it for a larger DX or smaller FF digital SLR. I personally don't like that very much- makes me feel 'vulnerable' and obtrusive.

The F801s has always seemed to me more dense, more elegant than the (in my eyes and hands!) somewhat 'airy', show-off F100. Most of that is personal of course.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    really wanna thank everybody again for their help.

sandermarijn: Yeah, that's why I was originally wanting to steer clear of the F100. I do lots of street, so clunky is not what I'm looking for. F801(s) or F90(x) or F75 it is, then! When you mean accuracy of focus pts on the F801s, what do you mean exactly? Do shots come out of focus?

Sirius: Don't worry about it .

Does anybody have personal experiences with stuff like No-Scratch (where can you even buy it? Only place I saw was B&H...and only in-store) or skin oil (any particular type) to fix the line issue on existing negatives? How does it work and how effective is it? Is there any similar products to No Scratch which may be easier to find? Any other products other than what tkamiya mentioned that may help? There was also mention of being able to avoid the lines appearing from major scratches through a technique...what technique would that be to be clear (was it the skin oil)?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    When you mean accuracy of focus pts on the F801s, what do you mean exactly? Do shots come out of focus?
    I only have experience with using the centre points on all these cameras. Using those in ordinary light (say daylight or reasonably bright indoors) I find no difference (with my AF-D lenses and for my purposes) between the old F801s and e.g. the F100.

The autofocus units in modern cameras are undoubtedly far more advanced than what's in the F801s, it's just that I don't ever exploit that difference, nor do I really know what the difference is. Different CAM modules, yeah, more advanced tracking this and that, more accurate cross type number of sensors- I just don't use it so don't notice its absence either.

If you do lots of action, sports, extremely low light photography then no doubt the differences will be huge.

Sorry that you don't seem to get the original issue resolved. I would still urge you to try another type of camera and be critical towards the scanning. Else I wouldn't know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think I use those special AF settings (don't even know if the F80 has it). Autofocus is one of the few non-manual things I do, but I don't try to go overboard with it. And yes, I'm definitely going to get another camera. It's now just a matter of when rather than if. Unfortunately for now I'm using a camera I know is going to f*ck up on at least a portion of frames (if not all).

Still would love some info/experiences regarding No Scratch et al (mentioned in the last paragraph of the previous post of mine...this is not directed at you sander, more just a general question).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Again...any alternatives to No Scratch? Can't seem to find that stuff anywhere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    h.v. Came across your original post today, and straight away it reminded me of a similar problem which was highlighted in a UK magazine- Amateur Photographer,a few years back. The marks were not due to scratching, etc., it had something to do with the prism, or along those lines. I have searched today but cannot find the information. When it was first brought up, it revealed that other owners had suffered the same problem. Yet others were saying that they had not experienced it with their Nikon F80. At the moment I am clearing out some old magazines,and if I come across the article(s) I will post details here. To be honest, I was thinking of an F80, but this has always been at the back of my mind, and so far has put me off buying one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ^ Thanks pityacka! That'd be interesting to read. Seems like this issue with the F80 is pretty well known...would've been nice to know this when I bought it.

As if I didn't already have enough bad problems with film cameras, I just tried out an old family Canon AF P&S from the '80s and they too have scratching. I'm guessing it's just because it is an old, low-end camera.

Hopefully a week from now I'll have a new F801 or F90 and it won't have the scratching issues anymore.

And again - any alternative methods to No-Scratch that might be easier to find? I've been doing a bit of research myself, and found a product called SpotPen, which'd only be for B&W and are basically different shades of grey to write over a line on an enelargement. Any experiences with this?
    Last edited by h.v.; 06-15-2012 at 09:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I still have not found the article to which I referred. Still clearing out old mags and may come across it. But I decided to go for a Nikon F80, and won on ebay - sum of £31-00. !! It is mint and looks barely used. When I opened the parcel I looked at the lens mount,(there was no lens cap fitted) and thought 'that's an unusual Nikon mount.' Panic was starting, until I realised the sender had sellotaped a 55mm skylight filter over the mount to protect the inside of the camera whilst in transit. God bless him. Then bought a mint- battery pack for £29-00, and that should be here today. I bought the battery pack from Grays of Westminster, London. I always have a drool over their 2 page advert in the AP. Saw the grip on their website and phoned for it yesterday. They are always highly commended for their service, and for my purchase - relatively inexpensive - I can only second all the praise they receive.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin