Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,562   Posts: 1,573,325   Online: 1036

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Which Nikon SLR should I get?

Hello,

I have been shooting film for the past year and I am thinking it might be time to upgrade my gear once again. My budget is limited, and after considering a series of brands, I have decided I'll go for a Nikon body. I thought about Contax, but I wouldn't be able to afford Zeiss lenses, so would there be any point in getting a Contax body?

So, what Nikon body would you reccomend? I have thought about the N90s, F801s. AF is not really a necessity but is always welcome. I need spot metering, and manual ISO setting.

Thanks,
    - Miguel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The F4 has spot metering and manual ISO override. Autofocus can be a bit slow, but you can always turn that off and focus manually instead.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How inexpensive does it have to be?

N80 is pretty inexpensive at around 50 to 60 dollars.
    F-100 can be had for 150 to 200 dollars.

They are both excellent cameras. I have 3 F-100 and recently sold N80. They are both auto-focus modern body.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikon F3!
    Or, failing that:
    F2,A,AS etc
    FE
    FM
    FM2
    FM2n
    FM3a
    F100
    F4
    etc.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would like to keep it under 100 Euro, but if price/quality makes up for that, I'd go for it. Better expensive and good than cheap and bad... I'll check those out. thanks for the replies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by konsomod View Post
    I would like to keep it under 100 Euro,
    Nikon FE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You should set a budget for bodies/lenses/accessories first as everyone is going to throw out their favorites or current setups.

Nikon can get expensive just as well, but its a better choice than contax slrs because not only are the lenses cheaper, the bodies are as well when it comes initial purchase price, repairs, and spare parts.

Shooter
    35mm
    As I said I would like to keep it under 100 euro for the body, the lenses I will check out later, but I will probably get a 50mm to start out. I do tend to prefer manual cameras, but is it a better choice than a full featured automatic camera, when it comes to the price?

I'm not a fan of motor winders, and I don't really use flashes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you would like an inexpensive, rugged MF body that takes Nikon lenses from any era, I'd suggest a Nikkormat e.g. the FT2.

I've had one since I was 12, still is fantastic (and that was like 4 decades ago) to use for a fully manual camera with spot metering. I picked one up recently for like $40.

Cheers,

Todd

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The Yashica ML lenses are quite good, and cheaper than Zeiss for the Contax. Another option would be to get a good Yashica body, like the FR-II or the FX-3, with ML lenses, which leaves you with the option to upgrade to Zeiss lenses later, if you must.

That being said, I am a big fan of the Nikon FM2N. But even the cheaper Nikon bodies are still quite good, if you are an a budget, consider the FG with an E series 50/1.8, which will leave some money in your budget for film.

Astroclimb, I just purchased a Nikomat FTN and I am loving everything about it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin