Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,242   Online: 1108

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

zuiko 50mm 1.4 front element disassembly (1.1milliom)

Hi all,

So I purchased a super cheap 1.1million serial numbered zuiko 50mm 1.4 off of eBay with a sticky aperture. I have disassembled the back half and fixed that as well as cleaned the dusty glass, and put it all back together fine.

Whilst cleaning I found that the front element has some condensation behind it. I have managed to remove the front facia, bezel and aperture ring, remembering not to lose the ball bearing and spring, but for the life of me I can't work out how to remove the retaining ring that holds the front element(s).

I have read online that some of the earlier models use 3 sometimes varnished screws which this one doesn't have.

Any thoughts or experience would help me greatly,
    Cheers guys.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/10530789@N04/7227851834/

Do I have to turn the ring with the 2 notches at 9 and 3?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you need to turn the inner ring which contacts the front glass. Try a sink stopper.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Paul ,

To rotate 9/3 ring seems to me only way , I saw that ring at lots of lenses and work for removing glass from the case. You can turn it from one end or with a knife from two end , dont strach the glass or harm yourself.

Umut

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a similar lens, couldn't remove the front group either. It seems fixed with something like loctite. Most probably, a few drops of a reasonably strong solvent are required to free the threads.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you all for the replies, I am going to pick a lens spanner up and see if that will do the job, I will keep you updated.

Shooter
    35mm
    Unscrew spanner ring, remove glass. Often the bubbling or condensation is inside a cemented group, making the lens beyond repair. 3 varnished screws are found ONLY in the last 2 versions of the 50/1.8. John

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin