Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,209   Posts: 1,531,967   Online: 1164

Shooter
    35mm

Need to repair 35mm slide projectors

Hi:

New to the group.

I need help with repairing three 35mm slide projectors: 1) Kodak Ektagraphic Model 750H; and 2) Two Elmo Omnigraphic 300AF

All 3 have the same problem: the carousel tray will not advance, or reverse. When I push the advance or reverse buttons, I hear a buzz but there is no action.

If I had some instructions or a repair manual, could I possibly fix these myself? Any ideas what the problem is? Some kind of solenoid device gone bad, or needs lubrication?

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Please feel free to tell me where to repost this if this is the wrong forum/thread. Thank you!

TomD3

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I can't speak for the Elmo, but the Kodak has a plastic link attached to the solenoid plunger that has a way of becoming brittle and breaking. This, along with the motor-mechanism belt is the first thing I would look for.

The mechanism comes out in one piece along with the cage that holds the lens. Further disassembly is fairly straight forward, as I recall.

It appears that micro-tools has a decent line of parts. I've seen service manuals somewhere on the net; maybe they have them too.

ds

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/P-L...Projector.aspx

Shooter
    35mm
    I feel your pain - I shoot slides pretty exclusively and really enjoy projecting them - nothing quite like it. Maintaining projectors is challenging. Anything other than lamps, as far as parts go, is real problematic and service is non-existent. I read somewhere that Leica projectors can still be serviced somewhere, at exorbitant cost and with limited parts availability. Elmo is still in business, maybe you can contact them for advice - they now make digital presentation stuff.

I decided to stick with one common brand/model (an AF Ektagraphic) and I keep an eye out on eBay and at thrift shops for them. I have two real nice ones and a couple junkers. The problem you describe is very common and, indeed, is a solenoid that just plain wears out - not real hard to replace should you actually find one. Internal dust (projectors are like a vacuum cleaner for airborne dust) and lack of lube is what really kills them - the solenoid (actually kind of a linear actuator) has to keep working harder to push the zillion moving parts along and eventually fails. Dust build-up also causes excessive heat, which doesn't help much either.

Good luck!

Edit - wow ds, that Micro-Tools link is awesome - first time I've come across it! I mean, I've been to the Micro-Tools site, but never noticed their inventory of Kodak projector parts. They even offer a repair service, although kinda pricey.

Mike
    Last edited by upnorthcyclist; 05-19-2012 at 11:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    KX Camera can help you out. Their website is here http://www.kxcamera.com/
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It might help if the OP stated where he's based as the costs of postage would be high for these items.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin