Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,447   Online: 987

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The term "indexing" refers to rotating the aperture ring to its extremes, to tell the meter what the maximum aperture is.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is the lens I am using, It says on the front of the lens Nikkor-H Auto 1:2 F=50MM then the NIKON SERIAL # Is this even the correct lens for this camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    yep, that lens should work fine. if the meter is pegging one way or the other, you might have an exposure issue. i.e. your lens set to f2 1/30th of a second would do that outside on a bright sunny day. Does the meter respond at all when you move the aperture on the lens?
    I like to turn a negative into a positive. Visit my website to see my work! www.awasos.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I was actually asking about the viewfinder (meter prism), not the focus screen. I didn't know which model meter prism you have. The AI models, DP11 and DP12, don't need manual indexing (AI stands for Auto Indexing). Anyway, disregard my question; from the newer comments it seems that you have one of the earlier models, DP1, DP2, or DP3, all of which required manual indexing of the lens aperture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't anyone send the guy a link to a manual for it.......http://www.butkus.org/chinon/nikon/n...2_photomic.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I index every lens I mount on my F3, old habits die hard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the link E von Hoegh
    I gotta come clean w/ all you folks, about 8 yrs ago I had a very serious stroke, and it's been a long haul back. I've been trying to relearn photography all over again. Taking classes is out of the question as I don't absorb any of it. The best method for me has just been get out there and do it!
    As I mentioned 45 yrs ago I was pretty damn good with a camera. So please forgive my ignorance and bare w/ me. I certainly wish I lived close to one of you on Apug, then it would come back quicker.
    Thanks much Ray

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This is the reference site for most Nikon film stuff. Here's the F2 section. Just scroll down to "Prisms/Metered Prisms" to find out what you've got and how it works.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...ssics/nikonf2/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ray, I didn't even think about the indexing. I take it you know what to do -- set the lens aperture to f5.6, twist lens counterclockwise to mount it, continue turning aperture the same direction all the way, turn aperture all the way back the other way. When done correctly you'll see the maximum aperture of the lens you just mounted appear in the little window on the front right of the finder. Not doing this would definitely lead to wonky meter readings!

Shooter
    35mm
    Another thing to check that any of the F2 photomic viewfinder needs the shutter speed dial on the finder to couple with the camera's shutter speed dial. It may be uncoupled.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin