Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,887   Posts: 1,520,685   Online: 1105

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Some clarification:

1-What is the meter prism on your F2?
    The view finder is the one that originally came with the camera, split screen I think> It's the Photomic with type A focusing screen.
    If there is an "A" on the front of the prism, then it is an AI body and the lens will need to an Ai type or having been converted.

2-You said your 50mm lens is a Nikkor-H. That seems to be a Non-Ai lens. Look at the following image of an Ai version:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D3S_2769-1200.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	194.7 KB 
ID:	51393

You can clearly see the silver metal "rabbit ears" for metering with Non-Ai bodies. Look carefully to the second row of apertures in small letters. Can you see in front of F11 a black plastic ridge starting there? That's the Ai coupler.
    For comparison, here is the Non-Ai version:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50mmf20nonAI.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	51394

3- If your Nikkor 50mm doesn't have the Ai coupler, it isn't coupling with the meter and that's why you get it to meter inside as the camera will see it at F2.0, but it is showing overexposure outdoors as it still sees it at F2.0, regardless if you change apertures. I bet the Soligor is an Ai lens and that's why it is working properly.

You can still meter with the 50mm, but it has to be at working aperture. for that just use the Deph-of-field lever to close the lens and to meter.
    Good shooting!
    My cameras:
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    uh, so far as I know the meter on an F2 doesn't use AI, but am happy to be proven wrong. If the "A" type does, and works on an F2, consider myself corrected.

Having said that: One thing to keep in mind is Nikon meter heads for F2 cameras are all old, very old, 30-plus years at least, and the parts in them that adjust the meter's electrical power to light do not age well. Some sort of variable resistance ring, or something, I'm not sure.

But these heads do not have a good reputation for working well lo these many decades later. It is entirely possible that your meter head is simply not working correctly. I have one and it was so erratic -- it would work in dim light, but not bright, or was all over the map in both, or neither -- I finally gave up and bought a plain meterless-prism and an external meter.

Most people who have photomic heads now leave the battery out because of this. It's a fine prism. That and the sunny 16 rule will take you far.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    uh, so far as I know the meter on an F2 doesn't use AI, but am happy to be proven wrong. If the "A" type does, and works on an F2, consider myself corrected.
    I suppose it's a matter of definition.

The AI coupling system relied on a partial cutout of the aperture ring to convey the maximum lens aperture to the meter.
    What it did in reality was change the aperture setting value that was conveyed to the meter to a "standardized" value that was uniform for all lenses.

All AI lenses had the meter coupling shoe that all F2 metering prisms require, so all AI lenses would work with all F2 metering prisms.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    I suppose it's a matter of definition.

The AI coupling system relied on a partial cutout of the aperture ring to convey the maximum lens aperture to the meter.
    What it did in reality was change the aperture setting value that was conveyed to the meter to a "standardized" value that was uniform for all lenses.

All AI lenses had the meter coupling shoe that all F2 metering prisms require, so all AI lenses would work with all F2 metering prisms.

- Leigh
    so what you are saying is it could still easily be that the guy's meter is weird. Absent more careful testing, I'd at least advise him to assume as much until proven otherwise. External meters are more accurate anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would certainly suspect the meter.

That style of meter had a hand-painted resistor ring that rotated against a multi-finger gold-plated contact set.
    The rings were mechanically fragile due to the thin resistor film, and had a relatively high failure rate back when the cameras were in common commercial use.

I probably have one of the only pristine new resistor elements in captivity, which I purchased in a parts inventory many years ago.

I would certainly recommend an external meter. That's what I use for all formats, except for some of the simple cameras that are automatic and don't give you any option.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    35mm
    That is correct if the lens is in factory condition. In reality many photographers took out the "rabbit ears", rendering them unusable for open-aperture metering on Non-Ai bodies.

The OP stated that his Nikkor has the inscription "Nikkor-H". That can only be a Non-Ai lens, albeit it could be Ai'd, which means converted to Ai standard.
    Nikon changed the lens designation before changing the mount. The Nikkor-H 50mm became simply the Nikkor 50mm with a rubberised focusing ring and still as a Non-Ai lens.
    The Nikon F2A and subsequent models had an Ai prism. If the lens isn't an Ai, it can only meter at working aperture.
    My cameras:
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    In reality many photographers took out the "rabbit ears", rendering them unusable for open-aperture metering on Non-Ai bodies.
    That would be easy to do... just remove two screws and the shoe falls off.
    When I was repairing Nikons, back in the hey-day of the F3, I never saw a lens that had undergone such a transformation, but it's certainly possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    The OP stated that his Nikkor has the inscription "Nikkor-H". That can only be a Non-Ai lens, albeit it could be Ai'd, which means converted to Ai standard.
    Nikon changed the lens designation before changing the mount.
    Yes, the H was a non-AI lens. These were commonly converted using the factory kits. I did quite a few of them; only took a couple of minutes.

Certainly if the OP's lens has not been converted, the meter would never sense changes in the setting of the aperture ring. It would still see shutter speed changes.

- Leigh
    Last edited by Leigh B; 05-22-2012 at 12:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "In reality many photographers took out the "rabbit ears", rendering them unusable for open-aperture metering on Non-Ai bodies."

Really? I've seen a couple Nikon MF lenses and very few were missing the rabbit ears. What possible reason is there for removing them? Ever wonder why Nikon still puts them on their MF lenses??? Answer???

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Really? I've seen a couple Nikon MF lenses and very few were missing the rabbit ears. What possible reason is there for removing them?
    It makes the ADR much easier to see on AI bodies. The coupling prongs are redundant on said bodies anyway.

In response to the OP, I concur with the others; the meter most likely needs attention. Take the batteries out to avoid distraction and either guess the exposure or use the meter in your Pentax.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It makes the ADR much easier to see on AI bodies.

At all apertures, right? Not enough to make a difference.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin