Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,688   Posts: 1,482,360   Online: 773

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LJSLATER View Post
    It makes the ADR much easier to see on AI bodies.
    ??? Sorry, I don't understand that.

The coupling shoe sits in front of the ADR scale on lenses so equipped. ADR uses a separate set of tiny numbers at the rear of the aperture ring, not the ones the user looks at,
    so the ADR view is straight down from the prism, not obliquely to the larger numbers on the ring.

The only degradation of the ADR would be some minor shadowing of ambient light if it was coming predominantly from a single direction, but not at all if it was diffused.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LJSLATER View Post
    It makes the ADR much easier to see on AI bodies. The coupling prongs are redundant on said bodies anyway.
    They were also removed because they stick out and some people found them annoying. I did that with mine when I used F2's because I had the plain prisms. I liked handling them better without and it was easier to pull them out of the pockets in the bag. I put them back on when I sold them.
    I've seen a fair number without the rabbit ears in use, but used lenses for sale always had them. I suppose if a shop got one without the ears they'd replace them before sale.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post

The only degradation of the ADR would be some minor shadowing of ambient light if it was coming predominantly from a single direction, but not at all if it was diffused.

- Leigh
    Yes, in dim, directional light I notice a difference on my F3 if I use a lens with the ears. Not extreme, and it wouldn't be an issue at all if the damn illuminator worked right!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Really? I've seen a couple Nikon MF lenses and very few were missing the rabbit ears. What possible reason is there for removing them? Ever wonder why Nikon still puts them on their MF lenses??? Answer???
    It was a common practice among newspaper photographers in the UK, especially when they changed to the F3. As said above, it was redundant on Ai bodies and it made the lenses easier to get in and out of a bag.
    There are many AIS lenses that don't have the "rabbit ears", which is a pity! Personally I have a 50mm F1.8 and a Vivitar 105mm F2.5 that never had them.
    My cameras:
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F50, F55, F60, 2xF601, F65, 3xF75, F801, 2x F801S, F80, F90, 4xF90X, EL2, FE, FM, 2xFG, FG-20, 3xEM

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    It was a common practice among newspaper photographers in the UK, especially when they changed to the F3. As said above, it was redundant on Ai bodies and it made the lenses easier to get in and out of a bag.
    There are many AIS lenses that don't have the "rabbit ears", which is a pity! Personally I have a 50mm F1.8 and a Vivitar 105mm F2.5 that never had them.
    Common Nikkor MF lenses had ears with the exception of the E series.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, Here's what seems to be going on. I've now put the lens on and pulled it off a dozen times. When I go thru the proccess of proper mounting, and the lens clicks into place it is locking open to the largest aperture "2" and staying there. Ican rotate the ring all the way to f16 and it's still at full open aperture.
    My soligor 80-200 has a red N/AI letters in the mounting ring. My standard Nikon 50mm does not say that. Any connection? It is the standard 50mm lens that locks up to the largest aperture, I noticed this happens when the lens release button pops up when the lens clicks into place.
    This unit does not have the A" button on the meter, all you do is push up the coupling arm with a coin to release it
    Anymore advice from you guys would be great on what to do at this point.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You 50mm Nikkor H, when mounted on the camera, will remain wide open for viewing regardless of the aperture you select. The 50 will stop down for preview when you press the DoF preview button/lever on the camera body.
    Yor camera will not couple to AI lenses without the coupling prong. If the 80-200 does not have the prong, you will have to use stopdown metering. This procedure will be explained in the manual, I'm not familiar with the meter prisms for F2s.

Shooter
    35mm
    2bits
    Can you provide photos of your F2 and of the Nikkor 50mm, please? Have you read the Mir site?
    Look carefully to the following, paying attention to the elements within the circle:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ailensillus.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	51441
    Is it like your Nikkor-H 50mm?

Now, the meter:

Name:	meterf2A.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	51442
    Does it look like this one? Or this one?

Name:	dp1shw.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	51443
    My cameras:
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F50, F55, F60, 2xF601, F65, 3xF75, F801, 2x F801S, F80, F90, 4xF90X, EL2, FE, FM, 2xFG, FG-20, 3xEM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bits View Post
    When I go thru the proccess of proper mounting, and the lens clicks into place it is locking open to the largest aperture "2" and staying there. Ican rotate the ring all the way to f16 and it's still at full open aperture.
    The diaphragm should stay open so you can view through the lens until you actually take a picture.

Set the aperture ring for smallest opening (largest number) and set a moderately slow shutter speed (1/4 second or so).
    Observe the lens from the front when you press the shutter release. You should see the diaphragm close down during the exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bits View Post
    My soligor 80-200 has a red N/AI letters in the mounting ring. My standard Nikon 50mm does not say that. Any connection?
    Soligor made lenses for many makes of cameras. The red N/AI notation identifies yours as being for Nikon cameras, and the lens has the AI feature.
    The Nikon lens has no such identification because they only made lenses for their own cameras (there are a few exceptions).

You've not commented on the coupling shoe that many of us have mentioned.
    Do both lenses have this shoe? If not, which have it and which do not?

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think I got it! Both lenses have the coupling shoe. I was not checking DOF when I set aperture. Mudman walked me thru it all a little while ago and everything functions as it should. The light meter works great also. So I'm good to go.
    I sure appreciate everyone's input, when I piece together all of your comments, it started making sense.
    Mudman, Thanks for your patience!
    Ray

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin