Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,674   Online: 1190

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikon F2 question on metering?

Hi,
    Question is: When I'm indoors the light meter will respond to 2 varying light sources by fluctuating up and down accordingly, depending on aperture and speed etc. But as soon as I step out into bright sunlight the meter pegs over to overexposed, regardless of aperture and speed. I'm new to this F2, my old Pentax meters great outdoors.
    It's most likely operator confusion!
    Thanks much 2bits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not likely operator confusion, if you're varying aperture and speed settings. The camera's meter should be able to handle that range in EV without problems. More likely the meter needs attention, I'm afraid. Are interior shots properly exposed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What film speed have you set on the camera?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've gone the whole range. Here's the bizarre part, I just changed out the 50mm lens for a 80-200mm Soligor made for Nikon and the system meters properly outdoors! I'm definitely doing something wrong?

Shooter
    35mm
    What specific model of viewfinder do you have on your F2?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 50mm 1:2 is a standard nikon lens. I wonder if I'm improperly mounting the lens?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Are you turning the lens to the largest aperture after mounting to index it?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    RThomas,
    The view finder is the one that originally came with the camera, split screen I think> It's the Photomic with type A focusing screen.
    Believe me I don't know beans about this camera. I just loaded my 1st roll of film in it.
    Now when I went outside with the 80- 200 on it, I did have a CPL filter on?
    I wonder if it stops it down enough to start reading the meter correctly or something?
    Last edited by 2bits; 05-21-2012 at 02:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You doubled with Mr. Smith.

As he inquired, did you rotate the aperture through its entire range after mounting the lens?

There's a little arm that extends down from the meter and mates with a shoe on the lens aperture ring.
    By rotating the ring you tell the meter what the maximum lens aperture is.

Also, make sure that arm is engaged when you try to use the meter. Perhaps it was not.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    EASmith,
    What do you mean by indexing at the largest aperture? I've rotated the 50mm lens to wide open and all the way down.
    Leigh, The arm has been engaged each change over. Yes the aperture was rotated thru the entire range.
    Still at a loss

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin