Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,982   Online: 735

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Nervous New Rollei 35 owner looking for lens cap and other advice

Hi all

Iíve just got a lovely Chrome German Rollei 35 from Ffordes. Iíve never had one before, or used a camera without any kind of focusing aid, and had a few queries for the experts, especially around the cap!

Iíd be grateful for any advice

-Iíve got a Heliopan 24mm UV filter coming to protect the lovely Tessar. Iíve heard the problematic Rollei original cap canít fit over it and I should look to a press on cap. But what kind/size?

-It was graded as Mint- and is very lovely, but has a small indent by the viewfinder. Do they all have dings on the top plate? Or in general?

-Should I stick some fast film in it and generally set it to 4-5m on the focus and F/11 on aperture to avoid focusing errors?

-I got an MR-9 battery adapter to give it the right voltage, other than that is the meter sort of trustworthy with print film, especially black and white?

-It came with a tight original leather case with a zip, does the zip gouge the body and are there any ERCs out there or better ways of keeping it safe?

-How often do they need a service?

-What is the best way to clean the body and lens? Zeiss fluid and cloth?

-Any other gotchas?

Cheers!
    J

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Never, never, never forget to cock the shutter before collapsing the lens!! The good news is that unless you're totally forcing it, you won't be able to collapse the lens in the first place.

Depth of field indicators are your friend, and a smallish aperture. Close distances and wide apertures are tricky, as you'd expect. The case zipper doesn't scratch the camera; have no fear.

The meter is very good. Of course, the only way to view it is looking down from above, so there's a certain built-in imprecision in the metering area unless you're able to get close to the subject.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You can find 24mm metal screw-on lens caps on the internet that will fit. Sorry but I have lost the link.
    John

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcliff View Post
    You can find 24mm metal screw-on lens caps on the internet that will fit. Sorry but I have lost the link.
    John
    OK. B&H sells them for $1.99

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    the Rollei 35 is wonderfull small and rugged all-metal camera. If you have a 35 T, it has a 4-lens Tessar with front lens focussing only, if it is a 35 S, it has a 5-lens Sonnar with focussing of the complete lens. The Sonnar is a little bit sharper especially in the corners wide open, the Tessar should be stopped at least down to f/8-11. Dont apply too much force during film transport since some transport wheels are from plastic. You can find also black plastic caps which fit over the filter but you should try it to find the correct diameter to fit tightly enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I, for one, slightly prefer the sharp Tessar lens over the Sonnar. Rollei 35 is really a small package full of surprises so you really need to read the manual. Fortunately Mike Butkus has one for you. Please donate a fiver to Mike while you are on his website (http://www.butkus.org/chinon/index.html). He has done a great service for all of us.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you have an old roll of Konica film laying around, the lid to the canister often fit the Rollei 35s as a lens cap. This might be true for the tessar....

The dings in the top plate seem to appear magically.

I'm going on 8 years since my last service.

Enjoy!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks all! Much appreciated. :-)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by The Salaryman View Post
    Hi all

Iíve just got a lovely Chrome German Rollei 35 from Ffordes. Iíve never had one before, or used a camera without any kind of focusing aid, and had a few queries for the experts, especially around the cap!

-Iíve got a Heliopan 24mm UV filter coming to protect the lovely Tessar. Iíve heard the problematic Rollei original cap canít fit over it and I should look to a press on cap. But what kind/size?
    -Any other gotchas?

Cheers!
    J
    I've had a 1971 Rollei S brushed chrome since 1973 (a trade in at a local camera store - in the "Colonies")

I also have a 24mm UV filter on mine and I've uses a Kodak 35mm Film "tube" cap since the early 80's when I lost my original Rollei cover. Fits perfectly and tight and cost nothing (except the film).

Are they still selling PX625 Mercury batteries in Jolly Old England or the screwed up EU? Anyone know of any reputable online dealers who'll ship to the USA (without screwing me on price and shipping)?

Long live Mercury batteries, ... too bad environment.

Shooter
    35mm
    Rollei sold both a zipped pouch and a leather ever ready case for the Rollei 35 compact camera series in the early 1980's, and maybe earlier.

As to the question about mercury batteries, no they have not been made in the EU for many years. In the unlikely event of finding any, they would be flat (at least all mine were). Mercury is potentially quite a dangerous substance, so personally I think it was a good thing these batteries were banned. Maybe they are still made in China - they don't seem to worry a great deal about the environment there. Anyway, there are lots of alternative battery solutions, depending on the camera. There is a lot on the web about these.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin