Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,577   Posts: 1,545,716   Online: 783

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The F100 has a better AF illumination system, easier to read read-outs in the finder, weighs a heck of a lot less, almost half the size of an F5, and has a pretty decently quiet rewind system. I was using an F5 on tuesday and it reminded me why I stick to my F100's...

The only Nikon I can imagine replacing those with is an F6.

Shooter
    35mm
    Go with the F-100 and MB-15 motor grip. It can be romed if desired. The F100 also has RED focusing points, which are much easier to see than the black focusing points in the F-5. The N90s is pretty sweet rig too.

Shooter
    35mm
    wow, lots of Nikon users out there!
    Thanks for all the opinions. I'll definitely give it a check and try out the different cameras there. I understand the MD4 would be loud but having the option of not using it would be huge since then I can switch between "uber silent" (no MD-4 used) mode and high FPS (MD-4 used) mode.
    Heck, I might even upgrade my F3 in the process!

Good to know the F5 isn't as uber silent as I maybe imagine it to be. While it doesn't have to be super silent, I'd just like it to be better than the F90x I have which has a motor advance that screeches. yikes!

Shooter
    Large Format
    There's nothing discrete about a F3 with a MD4 attached....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Corrected: there is nothing discrete about a F3.

Haha can't really hide the thing even without md4 and a small lens. The thing is a huge hunk of metal, even bigger with the High eyepoint finder.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by sharperstill View Post
    There's nothing discrete about a F3 with a MD4 attached....
    The sound of "Cameras" in movie soundtracks everywhere...

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    The F3 is the ONLY choice for 35mm film Nikons.

An absolute classic that will outlive all of us.
    Mine is attempting to do just that... and appears that it may be successful. In service since 1981 and still performing admirably.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dugrant153 View Post
    I understand the MD4 would be loud but having the option of not using it would be huge since then I can switch between "uber silent" (no MD-4 used) mode and high FPS (MD-4 used) mode.
    I have never personally experienced a situation where I needed to do that within the same roll of film.. or even within the same session whithout sufficient time allotted to remove/replace (R+R) the MD-4 on my F3. I shoot either with MD4, or without MD4 -- typically. R+R takes only a minute (or two... but no more than that) and the only catch is the potential for film fogging if film is in the camera at the time of R+R.

I think, but have never needed to do it, one can power the camera with the camera battery (turn the camera power switch on) but leave the MD4 power switch OFF and take pictures using the meter and manual film wind... that would give you the quickest transition from "uber silent" (no MD-4 used) mode and high FPS (MD-4 used) mode. As I said... I can't remember ever doing htat but it seems within the cameras capabilities. And unfortunately I'm not with my F3 at the moment and can't try it for you.

Shooter
    35mm
    Strangely enough, I was able to fire manually on the Olmpus OM1 with a winder on and just left the motor drive on. If I wanted to advance with the drive, I just pressed the drive's shutter button. Bam. Both options available. If I read correctly, sounds like i can only switch options on the F3 by attaching and disconnecting the motor drive.

Btw the f90x is quiet when no film is loaded. However once loaded, it's pretty loud. Would be curious to compare something like the F5 Cs mode with film with the F3.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dugrant153 View Post
    If I read correctly, sounds like i can only switch options on the F3 by attaching and disconnecting the motor drive.
    What options? There are few on F3 or MD4. If the MD4 is attached and powered on, it can be released from either the button on the MD4 or the button on the F3. No difference. If MD4 is powered off but F3 is powered on then only the F3 shutter release button will work.

I seem to recall that if MD-4 is "on" and shutter is dropped manually (like from the 1/80 manual release) then the MD-4 will transport the film. But if MD-4 is 'off' then it won't. I know I've manually cocked the F3 with the MD4 attached and "off"... and the film transported and shutter cocked.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin