Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,684   Online: 942

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    p.s. if you are worried about noise then I suspect you will not find any motor drive that will be quiet enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Compromise between the F3 and F5... get an F4 (better than both, imho).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    does the f3 winder really make a noise like the f3hp vid on youtube by gazonomy? if so i'm in love.

agw

Shooter
    35mm
    I have both:
    • F3+MD4 noise is an exaggeration of the typical movie's camera+winder noise: Loud, long, remarkable.
    • MD4 off and F3 on allows to fire the F3 and manually advance.
    • You need no battery in the F3 when connected to an MD4.
    • F5 is subjectively less noisy, because the film advance/shutter cock sound is much deeper and shorter. My guess, if you could measure it, probably both are about the same.
    • Comparison F3+MD4 sound vs. F5: brrrzzziiiiiii: vs. chonk!.
    • Both allow manual rewind. On power rewind, the F3+MD4 is slightly louder than the F5 (at least mine).
    • F5 eats batteries for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Throw in a few snacks in between. F3+MD4 lives forever on a single set of alkalines.
    • "Silent mode" on the F5 is a joke played by Nikon engineers on Nikon marketing.
    • Both are the best - F3+MD4 the best MF Nikon, F5 the best AF Nikon. Eat everything else alive, and chew it out reduced to small gears and screws.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by agw View Post
    I have both:
    • F3+MD4 noise is an exaggeration of the typical movie's camera+winder noise: Loud, long, remarkable.
    • Comparison F3+MD4 sound vs. F5: brrrzzziiiiiii: vs. chonk!.
    I think you observed this differences because you use AA alkaline batteries with your MD-4. The MD-4 with alkaline only advances the film at 3.8 fps with the mirror working and when I used my MD-4 with the MN-2 and it's over 5fps with the working mirror so the sound isn't much different from that of the F5 with near 8fps (as it operates on AA).

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I went to Glazer's Camera and wow... They have a lot of nice cameras there! Not cheapest but they seem to have good stock!

After testing F3 w/ MD4 and the F5... I actually ended up with an F4s (with the MB21?) and a databack!

The F3 with MD4 was loud with motor drive on. No surprise there. Love the sound tho. The good thing is that I could put the motor drive into "L" (lock it) and the F3 could fire without motor drive. Good if I needs the quiet but there was still a pretty loud "clack" from F3 mirror.

The F5 was nice but it was starting to push out of my tight budget. Also it wasn't as quiet as I thought it would be. This thing was built for the really fast frames but not a silent machine.

The F4s actually just came in so was surprised to see it. It's not super silent but it was pretty stealthy. The Cs mode won me over! Thunk!-clickclickclick.

My own subjective rating of "loudness" would be:
    Nikon F3 w/ MD4 on (loudest)
    Nikon F3 w/ MD4 off
    Nikon F5
    Nikon F4 on Cs mode (softest)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My choice is the F3.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mine too.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would have gone with the F5. I've had nothing but unbelievably bad luck with used Nikon F series bodies. I have two F2's and two F3's and to be honest every single one has problems. The F2's I've given up hope for so that's why I've went up to the F3. Now I have two F3's that aren't reliable. In my mind, a used F5 will have a lot less heavy use then these older F2's and F3's thereby saving one the headache of trying to get them serviced and loosing one roll after another.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry to hear that. My Nikon F3 has been pretty flawless for the most part. Mostly user error. Guess I've been pretty blessed with working units (so far). The F5 I tried in the shop was pretty beat up (of course, it was the cheapest one). Despite being newer, I don't think that would've lasted long before a service was required. I could "feel" the wear in my hands with buttons and things not as tight as they should be.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin