Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,407   Online: 985

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

F3 upgrade or F5?

Hi all,

I'm planning to drop by Glazer's Camera store in Seattle this weekend (possibly). This has me thinking of an opportunity to pick something up on the way.

I currently have a Nikon F3 (DE-2, G2 screen) that serves me well for the most part. I am now thinking of picking up the MD-4 for it and maybe buying up a new F3 body to replace the one that I have. However, I realize that for the same cost I could also possibly pickup an F5! I have a 50mm F1.5G AF-s lens but my other lenses are all manual.

My questions are:

1) Is the F5 really quiet (advance, mirror slap, rewind)? I know it's big and bulky but I may have a wedding to shoot and would like a camera that is pretty stealthy. My F90x is like a banshee in a quiet church service.

2) Does the F3 MD-4 have the option of firing using the camera shutter button as well as the drive's shutter button? The reason I'm asking if I want to have the flexibility of being able to shoot either in motordrive mode or regular "thumb-wind" mode (aka quiet mode for me).

3) Is the F3 MD-4 really loud when rewinding? Does it allow the option to manually rewind even if motor drive attached?

I am looking to make a discrete setup for myself. I currently shoot with a Nikon F100 and Nikon F3.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My F5 was most certainly not quiet nor discrete! My F90 is much quieter
    F5 is awesome though

Shooter
    35mm
    Dugrant,

The F3 is less nosier than the F5. If you want to be discrete the F3 (without the MD-4) is the way to go.
    Answering your questions...
    1- No the F5 motor is noisier than the MD-4. The F3 + MD-4 is bigger in height than the F5.
    2- Yes you can use any of the shutters and manual advance or drive.
    3- The F3 It's is loud (sort of, F5 is less noisier on rewind) but you have the option of doing it manually.

hope it helps.
    If possible get both or at least try each one of them (F3+MD-4 and F5) 8 AA will show it better.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The F5 feels quieter than the f90x. much better viewfinder, as well as less mirror slap
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stick with the F3.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    35mm
    The F5 has a manual rewind crank. It also has a "continuous silent" film advance mode--instead of a loud whir, it makes a shuddering, halting noise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Stay with F100. It is the most perfect Nikon ever made !!!! No foolin. It is the very best there ever has been or ever will be. You are there. Next best is your F3. You're already there, Pal !!! You're home !!
    Logan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The F3 is the ONLY choice for 35mm film Nikons.

An absolute classic that will outlive all of us.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dugrant153 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm planning to drop by Glazer's Camera store in Seattle this weekend (possibly). This has me thinking of an opportunity to pick something up on the way.

I currently have a Nikon F3 (DE-2, G2 screen) that serves me well for the most part. I am now thinking of picking up the MD-4 for it and maybe buying up a new F3 body to replace the one that I have. However, I realize that for the same cost I could also possibly pickup an F5! I have a 50mm F1.5G AF-s lens but my other lenses are all manual.

My questions are:

1) Is the F5 really quiet (advance, mirror slap, rewind)? I know it's big and bulky but I may have a wedding to shoot and would like a camera that is pretty stealthy. My F90x is like a banshee in a quiet church service.

2) Does the F3 MD-4 have the option of firing using the camera shutter button as well as the drive's shutter button? The reason I'm asking if I want to have the flexibility of being able to shoot either in motordrive mode or regular "thumb-wind" mode (aka quiet mode for me).

3) Is the F3 MD-4 really loud when rewinding? Does it allow the option to manually rewind even if motor drive attached?

I am looking to make a discrete setup for myself. I currently shoot with a Nikon F100 and Nikon F3.
    1. Both cameras make about the same amount of noise when they are motor driven.
    2. I have to check, although the shutter will release with the normal shutter release button but the film will advance once you release the shutter release button. Of course when you have the MD-4 attached.
    3. The MD-4 and the F5 is about the same loud when rewind but then both can be rewind by hand.

I picked the F3HP as my first choice. I do own both and do like the F5 a lot but not as much as the F3. I don't own the F100 but I don't think I would like it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You alreasy have the F100: Soup up the F3
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin