Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,075   Online: 997

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Flare, Glare, Light leak, or Something Else?

I have gotten back some prints and negs in the last several months that really frustrate me. I do not have a scanner, and so I will do my best to describe what I see. With my Nikon FE, which appears to be in very nice shape, on two frames on the roll, I get what looks like an overexposed discoloration on the left side of the print and neg, toward the bottom. I sent out the camera for an overhaul, and, after getting it back, I saw the same thing after shooting a few rolls. The receipt indicated a fix for a "light leak." Since I am just beyond the six month warranty on the overhaul, I have just put the camera aside.

I see a similar thing with a Minolta X-570 I own. On the prints and negs on three shots on the roll, there is some type of discoloration or "burn" on the left side. I checked both cameras, and the seals look fine (and on the FE they were replaced during the overhaul). This is very frustrating. If I make a mistake in a shot, I can live with that, but when the camera fails on a shot in which I know I did nothing wrong, it is very disappointing.

With regard to flare and glare, I gather this would normally apply to effects from the rays of the sun that may show up when shooting into the sun. I searched around, and saw a few examples of this, but they do not seem to match what I see in the prints and negs I have mentioned here. Thus, I am puzzled. Could a light leak be intermittent? This would not seem to make sense. Am I seeing some type of glare or flare? The shots were not directly into the sun, but were in that direction (into the bright southern sky). I do not think I have noticed this issue on indoor shots. With my outdoor shots, I always use a hood (in nearly all cases, the corresponding hood for the lens).

I welcome your comments on this.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Flare or glare would not be in the same spot every time. It would depend on where in your picture is the bright light or area that flares.
    A light leak would always be in the same spot but vary in intensity depending on how much light got in.
    If the discoloration is contained within frames it means it is inside the film gate behind the lens.
    If it seems unrelated to frames and is in the edges and spaces then it is coming from probably outside the film gate which would seem to indicate a bent back or bad seal or something to let light in.

Dennis

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, Dennis...

I add that the overexposed area is whitish in color (on the print) on some, but orange-ish and purple-ish on two others (again, on the print).

I will check the negs again, but I think the discoloration is contained within the frames. Likewise, the discoloration does seem to appear in the same general area, but seems to cover a wider area in some cases.

Also, if it is not clear above, I note that I see this only in two or three frames per roll, and a few rolls have come back without any issues.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could it be a problem resulting from film storage issues?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting...I always keep all of my film in the 'fridge. I occasionally use a roll that is a few months over the expiration date.

I think one of the rolls had been in the camera for four months.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post

I think one of the rolls had been in the camera for four months.
    If that was the only roll that had a problem, I'd be less worried.

I'd bring the FE back out, and shoot it some more in bright conditions.

And I would check the hinge and latch areas for a weak connection.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Do all the above and try a different lab.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was thinking it might be a development issue. Particularly as it involves more than one camera producing the same problem.

Shooter
    35mm
    I very much appreciate the replies.

I, too, have considered it to be a development issue. I have tried several labs, and whenever there is some type of error or issue, the lab has always replied with the question: "Is it on the negative?" In all cases, as I recall, it has been on the negative (and the print), and so the lab then immediately absolves itself of any error or mistakes.

I might try another mail order lab, but it would have to come with very solid recommendations, as I have tried five or six labs now.

Shooter
    35mm
    Did you try Dale?

http://dalelabs.com

Are these frames in the same spot on the roll? are these frames the first 2-3 on the roll?
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin