Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,057   Online: 1230

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    I've had pretty good luck with them. One thing that does seem to go is the half-way point on the shutter button, all of mine have stopped having that feel to confirm focusing/metering. I've told the story before of a friend who dropped his into a toilet and then went on to pass his BA photography using only that camera much to the chagrin of his fellow students who dropped four figures on new Nikon/Canon gear.
    Now that is frickin awesome!

Shooter
    35mm
    I gave up on the little mass consumer cameras with electronics, and just bought a mint Rollei B35. Not cheap, and not the fastest thing in the world, but good pics, and unless something terrible happens to it, should still be snapping away years from now. If it works out as well as I hope it does, I'm going to get another one for slower film.
    I think the cameras like the Stylus were basically disposable. They were built to work for several years and by that time, theoretically, they would be lost or chewed on by the new puppy or something. Then the owner would go and buy a new one.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hdeyong View Post
    I think the cameras like the Stylus were basically disposable. They were built to work for several years and by that time, theoretically, they would be lost or chewed on by the new puppy or something. Then the owner would go and buy a new one.
    Yep. That's why I treat old plastic electronic cameras with great care. They are but dust in the wind.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perhaps I should get a Nikon 35Ti?

Shooter
    35mm
    Since the Stylus probably came in at least 20 different variations and lens types, it is hard to know what model you may be having problems with. I was always leery of the long telephoto's, as they seemed to push the limit of a telescoping mechanism. But I used a 105LT for many years and never had a lick of trouble. It even survived a week with my brother in the southwest. I've never had problems with my 35f2.8, although it has not gotten as much use.

While Olympus packed a lot into a tiny package, if anyone could do it, they could. The Stylus series lasted at least 15 years and was one of the last film P&S film cameras produced. This didn't happen because it was a disposable plastic camera. It bears the genetics of the XA's and all its progenitors and relatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I called it an Epic thinking that was only the 35 2.8 model, of course that could refer to others too. It is the 2.8 I am talking about, sorry for any confusion

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Just had a film back from my Pentax Espio 105W which seems to be leaking light in somewhere around the telescopic lens mount as there are tiny blurry arcs around the same corner of just about every frame. Shame, as I love the aluminium (or is it aluminium 'look'?) shell and 28mm wide end.

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I seem to remember something about the later f2.8 models having some plastic gearing that wore down quickly.
    Whereas earlier models had a metal shaft that was more reliable.

I like the f3.5 model just as well. I dont know why they are not liked as well.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought a Mju II/Stylus in the early 90s and it's still going strong. They're a great camera photographically but as other posters have said, they suffer from the endemic problems of any small, light, plastic cameras stuffed with electronic gubbins. I dropped my first one the day I got it, no more than a couple of feet and the shell was perfect so it was replaced under warranty, but it was a warning not to do anything similar again.

They're a slippery design but if you get a functioning one, are equal to many more expensive cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    Who doesn't have the most awesome - truly pocketable 35mm camera?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin