Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,506   Posts: 1,543,505   Online: 1021

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Having trouble getting a Stylus Epic that works

I've gone through a number of these and there seems to be something wrong with each one. Last one wouldn't stop down which was bad news outdoors. Latest one I just got the test roll back from and the right hand edge of the frame is blurry on every photo.

Are these things just built too small and flimsy or something? Or as time marches on are they just all dying?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nielsen View Post
    I've gone through a number of these and there seems to be something wrong with each one. Last one wouldn't stop down which was bad news outdoors. Latest one I just got the test roll back from and the right hand edge of the frame is blurry on every photo.

Are these things just built too small and flimsy or something? Or as time marches on are they just all dying?
    Probably the latter. They're far from young now and most affordable p&s cameras, especially zoom models, just didn't stand up to prolonged/heavy use. I gave up on finding another Yashica T4 Super or Konica Big Mini long ago. Most of these are near impossible to get repaired now, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have just bought a late model Mju III 28-100 on our local auction site, looks mint so we will have a crack and see if that is any better

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mine has been solidly reliable since i had it. I've had mine about 6 or 7 years. Admittedly I haven't used it much for a while, but I got three or four years of solid regular use from it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nielsen View Post
    Are these things [Olympus P&S's] just built too small and flimsy or something? Or as time marches on are they just all dying?
    As an Engineer, it is my opinion they are under-designed: they are none too reliable when new; have no tolerance for the occasional abuse that everything has to suffer from time to time; and eventually they just start to fall apart in your hands. Along with the two I bought, I have a small pile of them that have been passed on by family and friends with a "Maybe you can fix this ..."

Olympus has always had a thing about making small cameras, starting with the 1/2 frame Pen's, the 1/2 the size of the competition RD and SP and the diminutive OM's. Combining ruggedness and miniaturization requires superlative design, something a lowish-volume camera maker probably can't afford.

I use a pair of Yashica T4 Supers that have never given me any trouble, along with a prior T4 appropriated by a girl friend that is going strong and a new-still-in-its-wrapper backup T4 in storage. Ask me if I like T4s.

The camera I would love to find in reliable working condition is a Nikon 35ti.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 05-29-2012 at 08:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've used up three in the course of ten or so years. One fell onto a hard surface, the others died spontaneously.

Lovely cameras for their size and image quality, but not the strongest out there.

You can still buy them new here and there, for reasonable prices.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have like 10 of the zoom models in inventory, the person before me used to teach the kids with. They are all pretty much broken, most common problem is broken battery latch, others won't power on, cracked plastic, etc. too bad they werent the 2.8's then I would have tried more to salvage a few.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Too many people chasing them right now.

Too many dishonest people selling bad ones when they should give them away or throw them out.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    I've had pretty good luck with them. One thing that does seem to go is the half-way point on the shutter button, all of mine have stopped having that feel to confirm focusing/metering. I've told the story before of a friend who dropped his into a toilet and then went on to pass his BA photography using only that camera much to the chagrin of his fellow students who dropped four figures on new Nikon/Canon gear.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have had more luck with the zooms so far, there seems to be a correlation between exterior condition and how well they work. The ones with scrapes and dents have been the ones to make bad noises and so on

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin