Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,958   Online: 774

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Shutter issue with EOS-1V?

I recently picked up this EOS-1V from a local photographer/friend. He said he hasn't used it in years and wasn't sure of it's condition. I put a roll of BW400CN through it and noticed some of the frames had an odd line on the side. I had these developed and scanned at a local lab and the line is visible on the negatives so it wasn't introduced during scanning. My only guess is this is happening during faster shutter speeds or a problem with the film.

In the past week I've ran another roll of BW400CN as well as a roll of Portra 400. I just dropped those two rolls off to a different lab to get developed and scanned for comparison. The only differences since the original roll was I've installed a PB-E2 power booster grip.

Any idea of whats going on?

Here are some shots that dont have the line...

Lenses: 50mm f/1.2L or 50mm f/1.8
    Film Gear:
    Contax 645 w/ Zeiss 80mm F2
    Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm F1.8
    Polaroid 250 Land Camera

Shooter
    35mm
    It kinda looks like the lines are from underdevelopment but that's pretty unlikely from a regular lab. Is it like, the first 10 frames only, or does it skip and reappear? If it skips and reappears, maybe the shutter is dirty and dragging somehow. That's what I would expect from that shutter, which travels up and down instead of side to side.

It's been my experience that when people claim a camera's condition is unknown, it means they know SOMETHING is wrong.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    almost looks like a variant of shutter capping, though capping would leave a darkened edge. Weird. Curious what other folks have to say on the matter.
    I like to turn a negative into a positive. Visit my website to see my work! www.awasos.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Could be the scanner, do you see a dark band on the film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    It kinda looks like the lines are from underdevelopment but that's pretty unlikely from a regular lab. Is it like, the first 10 frames only, or does it skip and reappear? If it skips and reappears, maybe the shutter is dirty and dragging somehow. That's what I would expect from that shutter, which travels up and down instead of side to side.

It's been my experience that when people claim a camera's condition is unknown, it means they know SOMETHING is wrong.
    It's random (skip and reappear)

My friend is completely cool with taking the camera back if there's an issue. So I'm not to worried.

Quote Originally Posted by F/1.4 View Post
    Could be the scanner, do you see a dark band on the film?
    Yes, I do see a dark band on the film.
    Film Gear:
    Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm F1.8
    Polaroid 250 Land Camera

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm {speculation warning!}- does the EOS 1V have a focal plane shutter that travels vertically? I have seen something a bit like this on an F-1 that was diagnosed as shutter curtain bounce (but showed up on the narrow dimension, as the shutter travels horizontally). It probably is more noticeable on fast exposures rather than slow, as the "bounce" represents a larger percentage of the total exposure.

I would suppose a CLA would fix it (but they ain't free!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would be very surprised indeed if the 1V had any sort of shutter bounce or shutter abnormality of its own volition — same with its predecessors, the EOS 1N and little cousin, the EOS 3. The 1V is ultra-reliable — that was its design brief, no corners cut on reliability or sturdy performance. But shutter problems can and do occur if that extremely sensitive shutter is in any way touched, most commonly during the film load/unload process e.g. even the leader touching the curtain is sufficient to impinge upon its accuracy. It's easy to scoff and dismiss such a suggestion, but those things are terribly, terribly sensitive to anything touching them: just a very light poke with a finger is enough to ruin its precision. So that's a possibility to ask your friend about, but granted, very few people could realise they've poked the shutter until a problem shows up. However, as a test, I would run another two rolls through the camera with Tv values from several seconds to the highest (1/8000), then assess the images again. If the band continues to show up over those further 72 frames of testing, a shutter problem is proven and the camera should either be politely returned to your friend or the camera lodged for examination and recalibration (though a replacement shutter with attendant labour charges would very likely run close to 2/3 the camera's market value!!).
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It looks exactly like the times I have had insufficient developer in the tank. Agitation is the only thing putting developer on that part of he film

Or at least as far as I recall...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Once I get the recent scans back, I'll post up any that have the line. I really hope it was a problem with the original fim or the develop and it's not the camera.
    If it's the camera, he said he'll take it back but then I'll be stuck looking for another one, I really like the 1V.
    Film Gear:
    Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm F1.8
    Polaroid 250 Land Camera

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The blades travel vertically so this could be a sticky blade. Since it is one the top of the image that means that it is actually the bottom of the shutter. I don't know the travel direction (up/down) but it could be a the shutter blade is sticking a bit as it closes overexposing just that bit.

If it is the shutter see if the seller would service it instead of taking it back. You may even want to pay a bit for it yourself as you would then get a proper new/serviced shutter whereas buying another one will just be yet another unknown.
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin