Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,677   Online: 739

Shooter
    Multi Format

Contax Aria film rewind issues

It is so frustrating to the point that because of the camera I have almost decided to sell all my Contax glass and stay with Nikon an Olympus... But here we go... A few months ago my Aria said that the film roll has reach the end and decided to rewind it in the mid of the roll! I tried changing rewind settings (manual rewind) - did not help, still after a few shots it said that I have to rewind the film. Then I checked the batteries and discovered that one battery was slightly damaged. I replaced batteries and thought that my problems are over. I happily shot 3-4 rolls with no issues and today again - 15th frame out of 24 and it starts rewinding. And it is even worse - LCD says it rewound to 0 when in fact it has not! Batteries are fresh. Have you ever experienced anything similar?

UPDATE: I have replaced film and it is back to normal for another two rolls so far... Maybe just film winding was too stiff due to whatever reason (when pulling film from the cartridge for the development I noticed that it kinda stucks and needs a tad extra force to "unstuck" it...

I can add that my second Contax (AX) also has a problem with “electronics” so maybe I am just unlucky with Contax cameras or it’s not the most reliable brand when it comes to SLR models (ok, my the167MT that I have sold was fine).
    I have a fine collection of Contax lenses but when I am not able to use them normally it is so frustrating...
    So here is what I am thinking (if I don’t find cost free solution to the current problem):
    - Option one: buy an expensive Contax S2 which is fully mechanical;
    - Use “cheap” bodies and don’t worry about reliability if it needs to be replaced (Yashica, Contax 139/159)
    - Sell fine Contax glass and stay with mechanical Nikon and Olympus that I have (and buy more Nikkors!).

What would you do?
    Last edited by alter ego 6x9; 06-03-2012 at 07:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd get rid of it and the lenses you may find many digi shooters wanting. The bodies there is no market for, not many repairmen work on those, there are not enough floating around for cheap parts, and these models seem to be plagued by problems all which equals $$$.

Someone tried to sell me contax slr gear with the zeiss lenses once, said he was trying to offload it for awhile and had a full kit. I graciously declined. I'd recommend you stick to nikkors and zuikos, as I did.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Are you rolling your own film?
    I ask because you are pulling the film out and not flipping the top off.
    But, in any case, if there is no market for bodies, then they are cheap. Buy several.
    There are two bodies here in Hamilton at Camtech for not much.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    Are you rolling your own film?
    I ask because you are pulling the film out and not flipping the top off.
    Usually I just open the cartridge, but this time I decided to pull the film out just to see if there is any resistance or if goes smoothly...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With an auto rewind system it depends on torque or drag to initiate the rewind.
    It may have an internal drag adjustment in the camera.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by alter ego 6x9 View Post
    - Use “cheap” bodies and don’t worry about reliability if it needs to be replaced (Yashica, Contax 139/159)

What would you do?
    I'll buy your lenses

Seriously, you may find the 'cheap' bodies reliable and easily repaired.

Shooter
    35mm
    Contax & Yashica can still be repaired in the UK, by Newton Ellis & Co of Liverpool for one, and no doubt by others. They did a Contax RTS for me. Personally I'd keep the bodies or look for working Yashicas - the FX-D is in plentiful supply, very cheap usually, but will probably need new light seals, and cosmetically the exteriors usually need recovering. The bits & pieces for these are all available in the US and elsewhere and quite cheap.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin