Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,493   Online: 643

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikon F4s favorite lens?

Hello, this is a new-to-me camera, It came to me with a Tamaron 28-200 f/3.8 af aspherical xr [if] lens. Needles to say the lens is not impressing me. I can use my 50mm F/1.4g on the camera but only in auto, program or shutter priority, wich is ok I can still get the exposure I want with some careful use of the ae-l button. I want a lens that will AF, and has the aprature ring. I prefer Nikkor lenses unless a third party lens performs just as well or better.

So fellow F4 owners what is your favorite lens for portraits?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    Hello, this is a new-to-me camera, It came to me with a Tamaron 28-200 f/3.8 af aspherical xr [if] lens. Needles to say the lens is not impressing me. I can use my 50mm F/1.4g on the camera but only in auto, program or shutter priority, wich is ok I can still get the exposure I want with some careful use of the ae-l button. I want a lens that will AF, and has the aprature ring. I prefer Nikkor lenses unless a third party lens performs just as well or better.

So fellow F4 owners what is your favorite lens for portraits?
    Two of Nikon's best Portrait lenses are the DC lenses. They're over a grand each, but will work perfectly on your F4s, as well as nearly all other Nikon bodies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 85/1.4 AF-D is phenomenal, as is the 1.8 version. Also look at the 105/2.8 Micro, or the 180/2.8 AF-S.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm a former F4 owner, and I really liked the AF 105mm f/2.8 combined with a soft focus filter for portraits. If I was going to buy one now, I'd try the AF 85mm f/1.8. You might be able to get a deal on either lens since the F4 does not need "D" lenses; you could get the earlier AF lenses.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think (which means it is next to worthless) the finest lens yet made for the F4 and/or the F100 is the Nikkor 24-120 AF. nearly all the important ranges are covered here. A truly superb lens at a good price and can be used as a cudggel in the coming bar fight. I like the F100 better than the F4 these days, but still have great affection for the F4. You just can't got wrong with the 24-120!
    Logan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find the right lens for a portrait depends on the portrait.

I think my dog looks best with a 16mm fish-eye. I think I look best with a wrinkle erasing Portragon [single element meniscus, makes a pinhole look like a micro-Nikkor] mounted on a fuzz-magnifying telexender.

I like the 85mm f2.0 Nikkor - it is a lot smaller/lighter/cheaper than the 1.4 which I find to be just too huge/heavy/pricey. As I shoot at f4.0 or so the extra stop is just so much dead weight on my camera.

135mm lenses are derided but I like them. Again, bargain prices compared to the almost cultish 105's

But some of my best portraits have been made with a plain-ole-50mm. It make rather intimate portraits, as long as you don't go in for nostril-examining perspectives.

Portraiture doesn't reward pin-sharp lenses, not with any subject over the age of 16. I'm with Cameron in that a little bit of motion blur from subject movement makes for a more revealing portrait as it obscures distracting detail without making for a "that's just out of focus" look.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your 50mm 1.4 is a very good start. The 24-120 zoom is also a great all rounder but slow. Often derided, the 24-120 is not good near wide open but performs really well stopped down to around F8. If you are not on a tight budget I can wholeheartedly recommend the 85mm 1.4, one of Nikons best, as is the 180mm 2.8,another legend. All the wide angles that I have are MF, but I imagine the AF versions are much the same. I have the 20mm and the 28mm F2, both are superb.
    A lot of people deride the F4, but not me! Sure it is big and heavy but is beautifully built with superb metering that will work just as well with older lenses, even the non-Ai ones. Enjoy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wish the forum had a like button! I'm borrowing a 70-210mm D For a few weeks to see how I like it. Anyone here use it? So far I love the F4 it's a brick but works like a clock!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Don't forget 55mm F2.5 Macro manual lens,very delightful to use.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Though big--and probably best on tripod with the F4--the various 80-200/2.8 AFD zooms are great portrait lenses. At the opposite weight extreme, the teensy 100/2.8 E series is a sleeper worth having.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin