Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,997   Posts: 1,524,295   Online: 840

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    For manual cameras:- you could start with a Praktica MTL3 with Helios 58mm 44m f2 or Meyer/Pentacon 50mm f1.8 and you could get results nearly equal to an expensive DSLR..I've seen this combo go for as little as £10. More upmarket would be Canon FTb or Minolta SRT models...the Canon AE1 was mentioned, nice battery camera (I'd prefer a A1) but be careful of the Canon "mirror squeak".

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It would make sense to go with new.The Vivatar is K mount and lens are easily available at reasonable prices.This will standardise the set up and save having to deal with the usual problems with second hand cameras. After all the students deserve to have reliable standard equipment that is going to allow them the opportunity to learn.This is the most important point in your case, not somebody elses idea of what is a good second hand camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    New does not mean it may work well, older nikons have never failed me, most common fix is a light seal replacement, and anyone with two thumbs and half a brain can do it.

http://www.photographyreview.com/cat...6_3105crx.aspx

Reviews of the vivitar, first two indicated defective cameras on arrival, 2nd review was of a teacher who who bought 10, of which 7 were DOA. Vivitar once was a good brand, now just a name plate sold to mask no name manufacturers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IMO the most important point is that old cameras need to checked out for bad light seals, lagging shutters, batteries, etc. Easy stuff to fix, but costs $75 or so per camera. So you can pick up real nice, solid cameras for $50 or less, but they will need to be put back in proper operating condition. The worst thing would be to give the kids cameras and it turns out the film is ruined and the camera doesn't work right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Does it have to be a single make/model?

I bet you can solicit donations and you'll end up with more than you need.... Parents may have these somewhere and of course, you could buy these for next to nothing these days, if you are not choosy on makes and models.
    It would be a good thing to have all the cameras share the same lens mount.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not sure but I mentioned keh warranty. And defective cameras can be returned for another. Bgn grade indicates that it should have no mechanical problems. If you are doing analog/digi a modern film slr such as the n90s you can share AF lenses as well.

Experience: photography teacher

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Student Camera Options

For a school program you will want to get new cameras. For personal use, used cameras are fine, particularly if you do not mind having to fiddle with them or send them in for repairs. But in your situation I strongly recommend that you go with new manual cameras like the Vivitar V3800N or the Nikon FM-10. You will not have time in the middle of a semester to wait for a new camera to come in, or to repair one. I believe that both cameras are being produced by Cosina and sold under their respective brands.

Neither camera will be as stout and reliable as the old standbys that many of us remember, so you will be faced with an occasional broken camera. Because of the low price they should probably be treated as throw aways because a repair, if even possible, will likely cost as much as a new camera. In your situation I would call BH Photo, Adorama or Freestyle and see if you can set up a bulk buy with a store warranty where you can return non functioning cameras to the store for credit against new, replacement cameras. Vivitar or Nikon may provide warranties but, if so, I suspect that the warranties are not intended for school photography programs so probably will not be of much help for you.

I am partial to the Vivitar V3800N as I use the Pentax K-Mount lens but I seriously doubt that there is a lot of difference between the Vivitar and the Nikon with the exception of lenses, and a slightly higher price for the Nikon. I have been successfully using the Vivitar V3800N for my own personal work for over two years now and the camera has been very reliable for me. In the past two years I have shot over 100 rolls of Kodak BW400CN and Kodak Tri-X in the Vivitar and haven't experienced a single malfunction. I have been quite happy with the performance. I do not purposely abuse it but I use it while hiking and traveling off-road so it does not lead a pampered life. However, please be aware that I have used this camera fully expecting that I will replace it if something major fails, not repair it.

Shooter
    35mm
    I always thought that the lack of a depth of field preview lever/button made the K1000 less than ideal as a teaching camera. You could settle on a particluar model, but a bunch of them cheaply and then have them serviced. The models I would consider would be the Nikkormat FT2, Canon FTbN and Minolta SRT 101. All three cameras have a depth of field preview feature. All three cameras also have mirror lock-up and decent metering. When they are serviced they can work reliably for a long time. The earlier Nikkormat FTN was made for 1.35 volt mercury batteries. The FT2 takes an MS-76. The FT2 works equally well with pre-AI, AI and AIS lenses. It also has a buil-in hot shoe so there is no accessory choe to get lost. The Canon FTbN shows the shutter speed in the viewfinder, which is helpful. The earlier FTb is missing that feature. The FTbN has 12 degree spot metering and that can also be helpful for teaching. The early and middle Minolta SRT 101 models have mirror lock-up. The later ones do not. Standard lenses for all three are reasonably priced. They are least costly for Minolta and most costly for Nikon. Canon is on the middle. I forgot to mention that both the Canon and the Minolta were made to work with 1.35 volt batteries. They can be converted to 1.5 volts while they are being serviced. After that they will run on A625 batteries. Whatever you decide, it's nice to hear people still want to use film cameras.

I have a collection of the Vivitar and other Cosina-made lighweight SLRs. When they work they are just fine and used oens sell for very little. They are not up to the standard of the older Nikon, Canon or Minolta mechanical cameras. I just don't know how much abuse they will take. Before Pentax started making DSLR cameras no one wanted K mount lenses and they went for very little. Now that has changed so they are no longer the bargain they once were. If you can live without the mirror lock-up feature then the Minolta SRT 201 would be good. It has a simpler depth of field preview button, a hot shoe and a brighter finder.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you buy used, Canon FTb, Minolta SRT, Nikkormats, Spotmatics. Older K1000s are okay but the non-Japanese version were prone to problems. If you want modern batteries and electronic shutters on a manual camera, the Canon AT-1 is nice and cheap. Institutions often have a buy-new policy, which is crazy when you consider the market is flooded with old cameras that any knowledgeable person can buy for a fraction of the price of new gear.
    Late period AF cameras (Nikon F60, F75, etc) have plenty of modes and shouldn't frighten the iPhone generation.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I think that broken or finicky used cameras will turn kids off faster than anything else, I'd go with new cameras if it were me and if I had the ability to do so. I think that turning the course into 'old camera repair 101' would be a mistake.

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin