Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,564   Posts: 1,545,309   Online: 853

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm thinking the film km would be a better deal than the k1000. At keh they are 1/2 to 1/3 the price and have dof. the manual smc are dirt cheap as well....... but then as PE said it's hard to go wrong with the nikkormats.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks to everyone who replied. This forum is wonderful!!!!
    Terry,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The standard student camera has always been the K1000. Inexpensive and fully manual.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    35mm
    The K1000 is expensive! Get the Nikon FM (the original FM not FM2, FM2n or FM3a).
    Want to stay with Pentax? Get the KX which is less expensive and yet much better camera than the K1000.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Get the Yashica FX-3 Super. It has everything that you want in a student camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    As a start, I would try out manual camera. K1000 is a good selection and it is very much affordable. Also, the Nikon FM2n is a good choice. Minolta system is also another choice and lots of lens are available as well as bodies

As you can see, the possibilities are huge.

Just keep in mind what you should avoid:
    - bodies requiring mercury batteries (Konicas, Spotmatics, etc.), the main reason being the difficulties to find out battery replacements;
    - too much electronics distract you from the fundamentals for a starter;
    - Canon series A (AE-1, A-1) and series T (T90) don't age well. And the series A require lithium batteries, which are expensive although they last long. Also, the FD lens system doesn't fit the next Canon generation (EOS), unless you get an adapter.

My 2 cents...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pentax KM and KX are less money than the k1000 and offer more features.
    Several of each CLA'd give you durability and reliability.
    Whatever, just don't grab a bunch of cameras with different lens mounts.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    The K1000 has not always been the standard student camera. When I started taking pictures there was no K1000 and there were no other K mount cameras either. What about the Nikkormat EL? If it's working properly it's fine but the electronic parts are not easily repaired and it has not proven to be as reliable as the later FE or FE2 models. I taught one person with a Mamiya 500DTL. The stop down metering showed the depth of field and the student was able to learn the difference between spot and averaging metering. The 500DTL does not have mirror lock-up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeap try to standardize as much as you can. If you digi purchase is one make, make sure your film body lenses are compatible/interchangeable. Saves you money and students get familiar with the feel and direction of focusing.

Also k1000 is expensive, it's touted by so many beginners the price is inflated. I recommended the fm and n90s as they are cheap, not the best but very good (not a fm2 or f100) and versatile. If you get a digi nikon body the ai ais lenses mount right on. No worries about adapters or locking pins etc.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dynachrome View Post
    The K1000 has not always been the standard student camera. When I started taking pictures there was no K1000 and there were no other K mount cameras either. What about the Nikkormat EL? If it's working properly it's fine but the electronic parts are not easily repaired and it has not proven to be as reliable as the later FE or FE2 models. I taught one person with a Mamiya 500DTL. The stop down metering showed the depth of field and the student was able to learn the difference between spot and averaging metering. The 500DTL does not have mirror lock-up.
    I think the OP needs these now and probably doesn't have the time to putz around looking for oldies. Suspect the school board would prefer one-stop shopping and a warranty. Besides, as already mentioned, nothing will kill the analog mood faster than a bunch of dead or dying K1000s, Nikkormats, or Yashicas. If it's going to be used, then the newer the better.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin