Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,897   Posts: 1,584,337   Online: 810

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    The problem with the K1000 is that they've become sought-after by collectors, so prices are getting silly for what is, after all, a very bare-bones camera.

Look for a set of Pentax P30s (or P30n/P30t) instead. They're fully manual (providing you don't set the lenses to "A") but with shutter speeds in the viewfinder, self timer, DOF preview and DX coding. They're smaller and lighter than a K1000 and can be had for next to nothing now as nobody wants the "plastic" body (they actually have a diecast metal chassis underneath). Probably not as robust but at the price you can afford to replace broken ones.

The only snag with them is that some of the original P30 models don't have a socket for a cable release. Later P30s do, as do the P30n/P30t. The latter two have Av mode but you don't have to use it.

If the model numbers seem unfamiliar they were sold as the P3 and P3n in the USA. I've no idea why!
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I received a Nikon FM-10 almost 14 years ago, for 7 years it was my only slr. I have no idea how many rolls of film Ive ran through it. With a Nikon you have a world of lens to choose from, I have some older Vivitar lens that are great. No it is not built as strong as most cameras listed here but with reasonable care it will last a long time. Good luck with your search and use lots of film.
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Shooter
    35mm
    The easiest way to damage a camera is probably "touching" the focal plane shutter blades. I gather that cloth shutters are more robust, under this respect, than metallic shutters.

Considering how easy it is that inexperienced users make a damage, I would go for cameras that have an horizontal cloth shutter.

Second hand in good condition with proper CLA for each camera is the way I would choose.

Also I would buy mechanical cameras as I gather that repairers can more or less deal with any mechanical cameras. Electronic cameras risk to need more specialized repairers. Maybe I am wrong.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PentaxBronica View Post
    The problem with the K1000 is that they've become sought-after by collectors, so prices are getting silly for what is, after all, a very bare-bones camera.
    I just checked the listings at KEH and they have K1000 bodies in EX or better condition for $100 to $120.

That's pretty cheap for a decent camera body.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    35mm
    I've paid as little as 99p for a fully functional P30 on ebay before now. Found one for £12 a couple of weeks ago which included a case and a Pentax-A 50mm f2, judging by the test roll it's perfect.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My wife teaches art and for her high school she asked for donations from parents and our camera club here in Fort Collins. She ended up with a hodgepodge of cameras but uses the mechanical shutter, manual focus, manual exposure cameras with the sunny 16 rule. Seems to work well.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin