Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,471   Online: 1070

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

35 mm camera advice for a high school photography program

Hello!
    Are there any decent manual cameras still available? The school wants to set up both a digital and analog program. Actually the principal is extremely interested in film and the darkroom!!! So, I need to figure out which cameras to buy. I don't know the budget yet, but when I did it before the wonderful Pentax K1000 was available and a decent price. Any suggestions?????
    Thanks!
    Terry

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Grab as many Canon AE-1's as possible. One of the best beginner cameras around. The Pentax K1000 is another good one but many of the used ones that come up have been thrashed.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I second the K1000's... That's all we had in our high school program.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Nikkormat EL is very nice.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Without a doubt, K1000, the ideal student camera. Built like a tank.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    you can also go to Freestyle where they sell, new, both a vivitar AND a Nikon film camera. They are moderately priced but fine cameras, and you will avoid the problems that older used cameras have (leaking seals, balky shutters and so on).

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/1689-N...es?cat_id=1802

and

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/598800...ap?cat_id=1802

having said that, put the word out in your community you need serviceable 35mm film cameras for school, many people will give you theirs and you can pick and choose, mix and match and toss the rest. While you are at it, display a casual interest in darkroom equipment and you will soon be overwhelmed....

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Vivitar linked above, depending on the budget, is probably the best deal going and no worse than the plasticky and pricier Nikon. Can't see the point of scaring up decrepit K1000s and lenses or other relics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does it have to be a single make/model?

I bet you can solicit donations and you'll end up with more than you need.... Parents may have these somewhere and of course, you could buy these for next to nothing these days, if you are not choosy on makes and models.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    127 Format
    And then hire a camera tech to repair, adjust and maintain the mish-mash of used cameras?

Those new ones at Freestyle look mighty nice.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go keh.com bgn shopping.

Bodies:
    nikon n90s ~ $35-70. If you want a modern AF, matrix metering, ttl flash slr.
    nikon fm ~$60-80. A tough but easy to handle manual slr, that I have taught some of my students on as well.

lenses:
    50mm 1.8 E series ~$60 or less
    28-80mm 3.3-5.6 ~$60 or less
    50mm 1.8 AF ~$95 or less

At these prices with Keh warranty, I would not bother with those new vivitar cameras. Put the rest into film, paper, and chemicals, and misc darkroom gear.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin