Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,194   Online: 1001

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon F4S vs. N90S/MB-10

I will be needing another Nikon body (in addition to my F3P/MD-4). I have boiled it down to the N90S/MB-10 and F4S. The F5 is too expensive, and I actually prefer the N90S to the F100. I have had both, and the N90S feels more "solid," even though there is more plastic in the N90S. I have handled the F4S only briefly. For me, the main advantage here for the N90S is that it can take CR123 lithium batteries in the MB-10--which would be very good for my cold weather shooting. This would seem to trump even my F3P's capability in the cold, as the ni-cad pack for the MD-4 is very hard to come by and rather expensive, too. I like the F4S' knobs (rather than a screen), but, otherwise, I do not have much familiarity with this body. I will be using AI, AI-s, and a couple of non-AI lenses (no AF lenses).

I welcome your comments and perspectives.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have both. They're both great cameras. And if you're interested in an F90x with an MB10, send me a PM as I have them as backups and could probably part with one.

The F90x is a great camera and I used it for a while. The main reason why I went with the Nikon F4s is because of the quietness of the camera. The F90x is not uber loud but it has a high-pitch whine for film advance that just does not cut it for most of my shooting (wedding ceremonies, quiet documentary moments). That being said, it's awesome for any other time. The AF is fast and pretty accurate, it's a lot lighter than the Nikon F4s and it's pretty rock solid. It's also great for using with manual lenses as the electronic rangefinder is REALLY nice to have when it's hard to focus with your own eyes.

The Nikon F4 has lens compatibility for all Nikon lenses made (from what I hear). I shoot with Ai/Ai-S and G lenses so either camera works for me.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get the F4s as dugrant said compatibility with all Nikon lenses, great metering and Viewfinder (100%).

Dominik

Shooter
    35mm
    Does the F4S have focus confirmation--i.e. a dot shown in the viewfinder?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    Does the F4S have focus confirmation--i.e. a dot shown in the viewfinder?
    Yes it has a green led that lights up confirming focus. I've had mine for about 3 weeks now, love it so far. A dedicated dial for everything makes it so easy to use. ,I am a portrait photographer and I can't find any faults so far. ,I love that I can use rechargeable AA batteries too. I'm not super geeky when it comes to gear, I just know what I like, so far I like the F4.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    N90s/F90x bodies are almost giveaway-priced now. The MB-10 turns it into a very fast handling camera with just enough automation. Nice bright viewfinder. Quite tough--full metal chassis under the plastic. Great flash flexibility with later Nikon speedlights. Did some street shooting with mine a few weeks back with the 45/2.8 Ai-P and had forgotten what a sweet camera it is. In less than polar climates, the AAs last forever in the MB-10. For the cold, I just use another battery tray kept warm and swap out the fading one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The F3 will take a little pocketable battery pack on a cord. It uses AAs and in your pocket, it will stay warm. Cheap to buy one of these, these days.

As for your original question, it's a tough one. I like the ergonomics of the F4 cameras better, but they are bigger and heavier by a large margin. The AF in the F90/N90 series bodies is also significantly better and faster, although I have found the F4's to be pretty reasonable.

I own an F90x and a pair of F4 bodies (one an F4s, the other an F4 or F4s depending on the battery pack). Incidentally that straight F4 (with the MB-20 battery pack) is reasonably small too, but the pack is hard to find and expensive. I got an entire F4 body and MB-20 together for the same price as one finds standalone MB-20s for.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    These are excellent, informative responses--thank you.

I see that the general view here is similar to mine--that both the N90S and F4 are excellent cameras. I have an F4S on the way...I might have to add an N90S. Indeed, the prices for the N90S and MB-10 are insanely low.

With regard to the F4S: the viewfinder seems to be nicely arrranged, with even the peep hole for reading the MF aperture. I read somewhere, though, that the magnification is only .7x. Thus, do things look small in the F4's finder? I welcome your perspectives in regard to using the finder.
    Last edited by FilmOnly; 06-06-2012 at 09:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin