Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,662   Posts: 1,481,642   Online: 831

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Multiple issues with new Contax G2

I just received a Contax G2 from KEH today, and I seem to have several small issues.

First, after loading film and shooting a few shots, I came back to the camera later and noticed that the frame counter window was blank. The G2 had been turned off, but that display should still work with it off. I turned it on, and it was still blank. Hit the shutter button and the back button, and nothing happened. It seemed the camera was dead. My first thought was to remove the batteries and then put them back. Batteries are brand new BTW. As soon as I loosened the battery cap, the display came back, and all functions seemed to work normally again. I finished that roll and shot another without this recurring.

Second, the initial roll seemed to rewind early. It was a 24 exposure roll, but it rewound at shot 21 or 22. I just developed that roll, and the first six frames (roughly) are blank. I'm just talking about the unexposed leader+ area. My very first shot was there, there was just way more blank film at the beginning than there usually is, so when the camera auto-loaded the film, it wound too much onto the take-up spool initially. The second roll I shot was a 36 exposure, and it's not been developed, but it seemed normal; I got 38 shots before it rewound.

Do either of these problems sound familiar to users of the G2, or are they of serious concern?

I also have a third "issue" which I guess is up me, but I'd be interested in any comments on this: the camera was sold to me as EX, and based on my other purchases from KEH, it's not quite as nice as I expected. It's got a lot of minor scratches...seemingly cosmetic, but there is a small one on the infrared emitter. More significantly, there is a teeny bit of LCD bleed in the frame count window. It's really small, and doesn't affect readability at all. But EX isn't supposed to have bleed, and I wonder if it's likely to get worse

I waited a long time to get this machine, and I want to shoot with it. The cosmetic stuff isn't a big deal to me, and if that was the only issue, I'd be inclined to just keep it. But if the other things seem to presage imminent serious problems, then I want to send it back to KEH and buy a different one.

Whaddya think, APUG?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can only comment on grading.

I had an EX that looked practically brand new and I had an EX that looked pretty used. According to a rep I spoke with, because several people grades equipment and they are subjective to large degree, there could be quite a range between someone's barely EX to someone else's very conservatively EX. I was then told, if I wasn't pleased, they'd exchange it for me.

Why don't you send it back and have them repair it or exchange it? Obviously, there are issues with your piece... (beyond cosmetic) Regardless of the grade, they are supposed to work perfectly.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would return it.
    They don't often repair some of the stuff an djust send you a replacement.
    Sounds like a battery short somewhere.

I have no experience with the Contax G series but have some with the slrs and reading web skuttlebut.
    It appears maybe Keocera didn't have the electronic division running on all cylinders a lot of the time ;(

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Why don't you send it back and have them repair it or exchange it? Obviously, there are issues with your piece... (beyond cosmetic) Regardless of the grade, they are supposed to work perfectly.
    Yeah, you're right...it's pretty obvious. I just don't want to deal with it, LOL. But if I don't, I'll likely regret it, so I guess I'll be boxing the sucker back up tomorrow.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    I would return it.
    They don't often repair some of the stuff an djust send you a replacement.
    Sounds like a battery short somewhere.

I have no experience with the Contax G series but have some with the slrs and reading web skuttlebut.
    It appears maybe Keocera didn't have the electronic division running on all cylinders a lot of the time ;(
    Thanks, Bruce, looks like that's what I'll be doing. I could pay more for an EX+ I suppose, but I think I'll try again and see if I can get one that actually rates a proper EX.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd just try again. Based on the "BGN" Pentax MX I got that most people including me would call EX, and the EX Pentax LX that really is EX, and the BGN 70-210 that really is BGN, my experience has been that stuff has been at least as good as described and most often better. Very good chance you'll get a cosmetically better one back, and an EX should certainly function perfectly.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Adamson View Post
    I got 38 shots before it rewound.
    One of many reasons for loving the G's, two free frames!

Shooter
    35mm
    Return it. Mine has never had any of the issues you mention.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Same here - I've never had the issues you're describing with mine. They (a G1 and a G2) have functioned flawlessly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by damonff View Post
    Return it. Mine has never had any of the issues you mention.
    Same here. This is nothing I've experienced in 12 years of owning my G2. Return it.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin