Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,253   Online: 819

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I don't think they exist. I just think that if they did, they would be more in keeping with the style of that era.

That is the plan but I need to get some first! The cameras live in a display cabinet when not in use so I would like the correct caps for them. When I take them out though, I will probably use the newer all plastic caps which I have already (both Nikon and generic replacement).

All I have in the hood department at the moment is the screw on hood for the 50mm f1.4 lens.

I haven't tried it with film yet but I think I'm going to like the 105mm f2.5 lens. I have always wanted to try a lens of this focal length but haven't had one until now.

Steve.
    You're going to love that 105/2.5, be it the Sonnar or the Gauss version. One of the nicest 35mm lenses ever made.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    You're going to love that 105/2.5, be it the Sonnar or the Gauss version.
    Not that it really matters, but how do you tell the difference?

And I think you're right. I love it already just looking through the viewfinder with it on!

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    The Nikkor/Nikon screw in metal lens hoods are better as well, they don't pop off and are excellent crushable style shock absorbers if you are so unlucky as to drop a lens with or without the camera attached.
    +1

F3 + MD4 + 35 1.4 nose-first onto carpet over concrete. A $10 hood gave its life on that one.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not that it really matters, but how do you tell the difference?

And I think you're right. I love it already just looking through the viewfinder with it on!

Steve.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...kkor/index.htm The Gauss type is supposed to be a wee bit sharper close up, although it's hard to see how it could be any nicer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    You're going to love that 105/2.5, be it the Sonnar or the Gauss version. One of the nicest 35mm lenses ever made.
    Agree! One of my all-time favorite lenses.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Very early F-mount Nikkors came with the "Nippon Kogaku Tokyo" front caps. In the mid-late '60s, they switched to the "NIKKOR" caps, of which, there are two different types. The chrome button version is usually found on the NKJ lenses (Nippon Kogaku Japan), and the one with the plastic buttons and either a rivet or a cross-point screw holding the leaf spring in place, is usually found on early "Nikon" lenses and some very late NKJ lenses. The plastic button cap received the "Nikon" trademark when Zeiss could no longer prevent Nikon from selling Nikon-branded gear in Germany. That cap continued well into the AI lens era, being eventually replaced by the all-plastic cap with the silver "Nikon" on it. That cap continued on until recently, when the LC-52, LC-62, etc, center pinch caps came out. All of the earlier caps with the threaded leaf spring were bakelite, IIRC.

In all seriousness, I've been pretty lucky in not having the chrome buttons catch on stuff. However, I have found the earlier caps easier to pop off than the newer ones, since the leaf spring gets out of round as it gets used.

-J
    APUG: F5, F4s, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 35/2 O, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.4 S, 50/1.8 AF, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Sonar or Gauss. S was first and is a very nice lens, perhaps a little soft in close range. Easiest way to tell apart is rear element on S is around 3/8 to 1/2 inch diameter. The rear Element on G fills the whole width inside the rear bayonet, ie around double the diameter. G are usually muticoated. I have one S in factory fresh condition and 2 or 3 G . All are lovely imagers.

Unless you have a nostalga thing, get the modern pinch caps for field use or the generic pinch caps from Calumet which are much cheaper. If the inside of the shade is ringed or threaded, put the cap there and do not remove the shade ever again. I do this with my 85 1.8.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Moravec View Post
    Sonar or Gauss.
    Sonnar I think. A webpage I read suggested that if the front part of the lens which extends to focus is chrome then it's a Sonnar. If it's black, it's a Gauss.

Rear element is about 7/8" dia. though so would that indicate Gauss?

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sonnar I think. A webpage I read suggested that if the front part of the lens which extends to focus is chrome then it's a Sonnar. If it's black, it's a Gauss.

Rear element is about 7/8" dia. though so would that indicate Gauss?

Steve.
    First number for the Gauss was 407301. Also, the Gauss stops down to f:32, the Sonnar to f:22.

The rear glass of the Sonnar is around 7/8", it is not 3/8" to 1/2".

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#105
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 06-08-2012 at 02:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sonnar it is then!

Steve.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin